• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recent discoveries whilst traveling?

Chef Adria,

Before I ask my (somewhat basic) question, I would like to thank you for taking the time to do this.

I believe that during the six months of the year that El Bulli is closed, you spend part of the time traveling. I was wondering which restaurants and cuisines you have found most interesting on your most recent travels.

Thank you again!

Edited by VeryApe77 (log)

This year hasn’t been particularly focused on travels. Not gastronomically, at least.

To mention Asia is almost a platitude, but you can’t take your eyes off it. Peru, Brazil, Venezuela, all that area has a very interesting cuisine.

The great cuisine to rediscover is that of Islamic countries. I don’t know why nobody is interested in it when it’s been the beginning of what today we understand as cooking. We know very little of the Islamic world.

Generally speaking, we know very little of almost everything. The lack of gastronomic culture of many chefs, I included, is unbelievable. If you ask me to name five dishes from Peruvian cuisine, I couldn’t name them.

Edited by Ferran Adrià (log)

Ferran Adrià

elBulli

What places do you enjoy eating at yourself--types of cuisine, style of restaurants (fine dining or small family restaurants, casual or formal, etc.), cities you enjoy dining in, specific restaurants or chefs?

Fred Bramhall

A professor is one who talk's in someone else's sleep

What places do you enjoy eating at yourself--types of cuisine, style of restaurants (fine dining or small family restaurants, casual or formal, etc.), cities you enjoy dining in, specific restaurants or chefs?

There are 365 days a year. There's always a day for everything.

There's even a day for McDonalds. :wink: . At least, there's a day to check what they're up to.

Ferran Adrià

elBulli