• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner with friends

ctgm

2002 Chablis, Domaine Barat

Maybe it is just me but I think that I prefer my Chablis in summer 9ie when it is nice and hot). The fruit on the nose and palate were both relatively muted and not showing as well as a few months ago. The next day, what small amount was left was showing a lot better. The mierality was beginning to show through.

1991 Royal Tokay Wine Co, 2eme Cru Classe, Birsalmas

I thought that this would be perfect with the fois gras like duck pate. The acidity was fantastic as was the sweet fruit but I thought that it was a little lacking in viscosity, which is one of the things I love about Tokay. Womnderful flavours of prunes and apricots.

1989 Ch. Durfort Vivens with roast partridge. For a 2nd growth this was shocking (but what more do you expect from Bordeaux???) My guests were slightly more complimentary but I thought that the fruit was bland and beginning to age very badly. Very soft tannins and a lack of acidity didn't make this one of my most memorable bottles.

2001 Val de Berrus. After the disappointment of a lack of fruit from Bordeaux, I thought that this Terra Alta (Spain) would do the trick. As one of my guests pointed out, it wasn't particularly Spanish (maybe that's why RP gave it 91). Masses of rich, sweet ripe fruit, but the balance wasn't there. Perhaps the Bordeaux wasn't that bad afterall as it seems that the Spaniard, while out gunning it in the fruit department, was not as sophisticated.

1991 RTWC Birsalmas. Back to this with the cheese/chocolate pudding. I must try and teach my wife another recipe for pudding!!! When I opened up the case and got a bottle out, the mahogany colour led me to believe that I was in for a treat. The wine if anything had become even more fluid through the course of the meal. Lovely fruit on the nose and palate but lacking the weight an power I so like.

Is it only me, or do others find that the wine they serve is ALWAYS disappointing?