• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An American Fare

coughy

I am happy to report that dinner was delicious. I had an apple/beet/goat cheese appetizer that was great. My husband had a porcini gratin that was so good. Friends had mussels and a caesar that they both enjoyed. My main dish was perch that was served with Morrocan spiced tomatoes and brown rice. I really enjoyed it. My husband had the hangar steak with preserved lemon risotto that was the best. Friends had Shepherd's Pie and the perch. We shared a chocolate fondue for dessert.

It was a lovely place and we will definitely go back.

Had a great experience at American Fare over the weekend. Hadn't been there in quite awhile and really feel that we'll be going in more often (went with my wife :wub: )

It is a small place, I think we counted 11 tables, but it makes for a cozy atmosphere. The waitress took our coats and we sat down at a table for two. There was much to choose from on the menu and the waiter and waitress that work there answered the few questions that we had with accurate details about the dishes.

I started with the charcuterie tasting plate and my wife had the beet and apple salad. The tasting plate was just wonderful and the marinated goat cheese on the beet and apple salad fit the dish perfectly (I stole a bite, I mean come on, goat cheese). Next time we go I'm going to have to get an appetizer and a salad. For dinner my wife had scallops with a lemon risotto and I had the venison. The roasted chesnuts and the pepper sausce made the dish one that I shan't forget soon. For dessert we had a tough time saying no to the fondue the waiter told us about, but I just can't turn down a red wine poached pear with a roquefort parfait to boot. my wife had the creme brulle and a blueberry tea that was just yummy.

I find myself looking at their website( http://home.earthlink.net/~americanfare/ )every other day now to see what they're up to over there. We live in south orange and between here and maplewood there really isn't any other place like it. the prices are right, the food is amazing, and the service is attentive.

I'm sure we'll be back for either the tasting menu or the brunch this weekend.

cheers

Edited by agent orange (log)

Hello Rosie. Thanks for the warm welcome, excited to be here. As far as your questions go I have the following to say...

Cafe Arugula is an old haunt of mine that I won't really go back to anymore. I believe the chef died last year and the people that took over (chef's son?) have attempted to keep the same menu and it just isn't working. I used to love their balsamic chicken as an affordable and filling dinner. Went back a couple of times after the unfortunate news and found everything I ordered to be all wrong. Even the service has seemed to suffered.

As far as Haru, I have never have had a bad time there. Been there maybe ten times. I have to admit that a $ 20 all you can eat is a nice reason to go. The sushi is decent and the people there are friendly. I really enjoy the tea. If you are looking for really nice sushi in the area, even though it is more expensive than Haru, the sushi place that took over the spot across from rite aid on south orange ave is very nice. but. be warned, they do play celien dion a lot.

Going back to American Fare though tonight...let you know about it later.