• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anniversary soon...

peanutgirl

Our real anniversary is New Year's Eve. This year, instead of battling crowds, traffic, overinflated prices etc. , we've decided to celebrate a few days ahead.

I'm open to and will consider all suggestions will much appreciation. Although I'm in Central NJ... if the recommendation is compelling enough... I'll try to talk the husband into trekking someplace we wouldn't normally go just to eat ( Like NYC or Philly for example. With 4 kids... these trips usually involve more than food activity).

I'm looking for warm & cozy, romantic and not too haughty. Comfortable I guess. I'm not opposed to having our "dinner" at lunch time... and most all cuisines are fair game.

I was seriously considering the Hot Dog Tour :smile: ... but that would only be romantic if it were just the 2 of us.

Crossing my fingers for a good response to my plea.

I'd probably have to say The Frog and the Peach or Nicholas, if you don't want to schlep all the way into Manhattan.

Rosie is quite fond of Rat's, but thats really only for good weather.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Don't know exactly where you are in Central NJ... But surely Lambertville should be within striking distance. A lovely town, lots of things to shop for, the beautiful Delaware River just adjacent, and a restaurant that seems to fit your needs to a "T" is No.9, a winner on a side street in Lambertville. See our full discussion here: EGullet No 9 Thread

Not pretentious, and really terrific food prepared with care!

For the past 5 years or thereabouts, we've spent our anniversary, 12/24, at Bernardsville Inn. They have a top notch restaurant with a great wine list. We also stay overnight. I have no idea if they're open New Years though.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Rat's is so close it's a crime we haven't been. Anything in the Lawrenceville/ New Hope area as far as location is certainly within a reasonable drive for us.

I live about 13 miles from Princeton if that helps... lots of great suggestions... discussing it all with the husband.

Thanks Glenn for the Bernardsville Inn... staying overnight is sadly not an option for us though. Sounds lovely. Once the kids are older... maybe.

Any other places... I have precious little time to decide and convince :wink: .

edit because I can't type :wacko: .

Edited by peanutgirl (log)

Rosie,

Jason said you'd recommend Rat's. I've been past the Grounds for Sculpture numerous times... and live w/ in 10 miles.  Is it really as good as the reviews?

Eric Martin who was the Executive Chef at Rat's has recently left. I haven't been there since he left so I can't comment on the food. It is a beautiful restaurant and the Grounds For Sculpture are gorgeous.

More info is here with a very recent posting.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=23001

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie,

Have you been to the Lawrenceville Inn before? I think I read somewhere that the chef was trained at the Ryland Inn. I don't know if that makes a difference to peanutgirl but I have been there and it is romantic.

I think Rat's might be more fancy than you are looking for..certainly apples and oranges from lawrenceville Inn. I was at both within the last few weeks.....I saw consistancy at Rat's with no discernable difference after the chef's departure.

Lawrenceville Inn remains a hit or miss neighborhood place with horrible service, and some quality issues: I mean, why have a steak on the menu if the steak is poor quality...I'd rather see them do something interesting with a cheaper cut, myself. I really want to like this place, but the waiters are , like, um, like, 13 years old, and um like, don't really, um, like, know what they're doing, um like okay?

Regarding lambertville, I also agree that No 9 would be a good choice, their winter/fall menus are much more adventurous than their summer menu, IMHO.

I'm a fan of Lily's on the Canal, but that's perhaps too casual. I'd go to Libations or Anton's or the Boathouse for cocktalis beforehand. Hamilton Grill as Rosie mentioned has a nice menu now...they are another place that gets predictable w. their summer fish oriented menus, but show some talent in the fall and winter. Friendly great service at Hamilton Grill, and lovely understated decor.

I've also recently dined at Amanda's, the Stage House Inn, and the Ryland Inn. I'd reccomend SHI to anyone..I love some of their twists on traditional combos, and I think they are doing great desserts. I'm withholding an opinion on Ryland..suffice to say it had the feeling of "coasting".

Nicholas is more stark and simply designed, I can't imagine anyone describing it as romantic..but the egullet board is loaded with RN fans..and although I am not one of them, I respect their opinions.

Frog and the Peach is on my list..I always go to Soho on George, or Stage Left when in NB..my husband is partial to the wine list there...I haven't been to F and P in years, and am way overdue to revisit this institutuon.

The INNS; Stockton, Sergentsville, and Frenchtown are great anniversary options: romantic, uber-beautiful in their Christmas finery. Sergeantsville is probably the prettiest, Stockton has better food..again, IMO. Frenchtown is looking a little frumpy, I had drinks there int he last 6 months, and the bar room and bathrooms were dirtly.

For a real romance, there is maisonn du'Auberge in New Hope, perhaps a 30 minute drive from Princeton. They always have a wonderful foie gras special, which makes the so-so desserts more bearable.

Truthfully, if you live that close to Rat's and have never been, go there. It might be a bit formal, but not pretentious to the point of discomfort. You owe it to yourself to discover this gem in your own backyard. Also, it's beautiful during winter, with the fires burning, the pond and artwork lit up, granted, you can't walk around the grounds, but the interior glows.

Rosie,

Have you been to the Lawrenceville Inn before? I think I read somewhere that the chef was trained at the Ryland Inn. I don't know if that makes a difference to peanutgirl but I have been there and it is romantic.

Yes. I've been to Lawrenceville Inn. It is much more casual than Rat's.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I've also recently dined at Amanda's, the Stage House Inn, and the Ryland Inn. I'd reccomend SHI to anyone..I love some of their twists on traditional combos, and I think they are doing great desserts. I'm withholding an opinion on Ryland..suffice to say it had the feeling of "coasting".

My wife and I had our first experience at Ryland three Friday nights ago. I got no impression of coasting. I do think that Chef Shelton may be a bit too ambitious with what he tries to deliver.

Out of the one kitchen they do the bistro menu (which I did not see), a small a la carte menu, five different eight course tasting menus plus whatever priviate parties might be doing.

There were one or two very slight mistakes in what we had and the meal was (intentionally) *very* expensive -- we had the truffle tasting menu and lots of moderately expensive wines.

That said, I felt like I got my money's worth and would return soon were it not a 575 mile trip.

[

My wife and I had our first experience at Ryland three Friday nights ago.  I got no impression of coasting.  I do think that Chef Shelton may be a bit too ambitious with what he tries to deliver.

With all respect, I think its difficult to determine if a restaurant is coasting if its your first visit. I have a list of reasons that make me have this opinion, including a number of almost exact dishes from last year's menu..but I'd want another visit, not a a business dinner, to determine if my opinion is accurate. Shelton used to have dishes that were original, now they seem to mimic any three star NYC place.

I think Rat's might be more fancy than you are looking for..certainly apples and oranges from lawrenceville Inn. I was at both within the last few weeks.....I saw consistancy at Rat's with no discernable difference after the chef's departure.

ome quality issues: I mean, why have a steak on the menu if the steak is poor quality...I'd rather see them do something interesting with a cheaper cut, myself.  I really want  to like this place, but the waiters are , like, um, like, 13 years old Lawrenceville Inn remains a hit or miss neighborhood place with horrible service, and s, and um like, don't really, um, like, know what they're doing, um like okay?

I have eaten at the Lawerenceville Inn many times since the new chef has arrived last October and have no problems with poor service or poor quality items at all. In fact the owner, whom I know quite well has remarked on how closely the chef works with the service staff. If you haven't eaten there in at least a year, maybe it is time you give them another try.

Regarding lambertville, I also agree that No 9 would be a good choice, their winter/fall menus are much more adventurous than their summer menu, IMHO.

I'm a fan of Lily's on the Canal, but that's perhaps too casual. I'd go to Libations or Anton's  or the Boathouse for cocktalis beforehand. Hamilton Grill as Rosie mentioned has a nice menu now...they are another place that gets predictable w. their summer fish oriented menus, but show some talent in the fall and winter. Friendly great service at Hamilton Grill, and lovely understated decor.

Nicholas is more stark and simply designed, I can't imagine anyone describing it as romantic..but the egullet board is loaded with RN fans..and although I am not one of them, I respect their opinions. 

Frog and the Peach is on my list..I always go to Soho on George, or Stage Left when in NB..my husband is partial to the wine list there...I haven't been to F and P in years, and am way overdue to revisit this institutuon.

The INNS; Stockton, Sergentsville, and Frenchtown are great anniversary options: romantic, uber-beautiful in their Christmas finery.  Sergeantsville is probably the prettiest, Stockton has better food..again, IMO. Frenchtown is looking a little frumpy, I had drinks there int he last 6 months, and the bar room and bathrooms were dirtly.

For a real romance, there is maisonn du'Auberge in New Hope, perhaps a 30 minute drive from Princeton.  They always have a wonderful foie gras special, which makes the so-so desserts more bearable.

Truthfully, if you live that close to Rat's and have never been, go there. It might be a bit formal, but not pretentious to the point of discomfort. You owe it to yourself to discover this gem in your own backyard. Also, it's beautiful during winter, with the fires burning, the pond and artwork lit up, granted, you can't walk around the grounds, but the interior glows.

Edited by camper (log)

camper, I am not quite sure you had other comments..but regarding the Lawrenceville INn, I have been there twice in the last three months, and at least a 6 or 7 times total, and I have always had young, inexperienced wait staff. Indeed, the most recent pleasant but inept waiter told me he went to high school with the owenrs daughter in PA somewhere.

I've also spoken to the owner, and she is very sincere..the food can be fairly good if unadventurous, which is what I think the area demands...but the service is terrible ( and I don't like the cutsey and somewhat bargain style decor, but thats personal and subjective) Also, I alsays try to remember to disclose to newer members that I am the BYO holdout amongst my fellow Jersey egulleters..I do not prefer BYO's.

peanutgirl, I hope you have a wonderful anniversary..Rat's, or Stockton or Sergeantsville Inn :laugh:

Edited by Kim WB (log)

Sorry love, you're not the only BYOB holdout in the Jersey crowd. By the way, you threw a wonderful sushi lunch in Caldwell.

We missed you, always like picking your brain.

Also, with BYOB's come inexperienced staff. Most of you don't tip on what booze you bring in. To be honest, I tipped out the staff at the sushi lunch on the side because they handled our liquor. I worked BYOB"s as a chef and heard the bitching of a server after they opened 18 bottles of wine for a part of 10 and got 15% on the nose. I'd never open a BYOB beacuse all you get are step-ups from pizza joints and chains.

The reason BYOB"S have medicore service is because they get tipped on what you eat and not for handling the wine. Tips suck!! Wake up people.

Aahhhh, don't get me started.

Lou

Edited by Lreda (log)

MichaelB--Was the Ryland Inn busy? Were you there on a weekday or weekend?

We were there on the Friday night before Thanksgiving (11/19, maybe, without consulting a calendar). The restaurant was busy. We had a 7:45 reservation and the room we were in was full. Several tables turned while we were there.

[

My wife and I had our first experience at Ryland three Friday nights ago.  I got no impression of coasting.  I do think that Chef Shelton may be a bit too ambitious with what he tries to deliver.

With all respect, I think its difficult to determine if a restaurant is coasting if its your first visit. I have a list of reasons that make me have this opinion, including a number of almost exact dishes from last year's menu..but I'd want another visit, not a a business dinner, to determine if my opinion is accurate. Shelton used to have dishes that were original, now they seem to mimic any three star NYC place.

This is probably a better topic for another thread but I cannot conclude a restaurant is coasting because the menu repeats dishes from year to year or because the menu doesn't seem as inventive as it once did. (That also perhaps says as much about the beholder as it does the menu.)

Coasting to me is more an attitude that I see in the service and how the food is cooked.

There is a very fine line that chef/owners like Shelton have to walk (and the longer you are open the finer the line gets). How can you take a top selling item off the menu? How do you deal with the guy from Cincinnati who having read a review has his heart set on the dish the reviewer loved? (By the way, that didn't happen.) Your menu can only be so big. Every dish that has to stay takes the place of something you'd like to stretch with.

Is it a coincidence that the menus in all the New York 3 stars (NYT scale) look similar? Are all the chefs and owners conspiring to feed us the same stuff. I suspect that the dining public is at fault. These dishes may, or may not, be what the chef wants to do -- it is what SELLS. Shelton and all the rest of the restaurateurs have to make the payroll and mortgage. There was just an article in the Times on precisely this topic -- was it a Grimes retrospective on his reviewing stint?

There are probably 200 chefs in this country capable and willing to do the one-off, nothing else like it, 4 star (NYT scale, again) that would appeal to the people who regularly post on e-Gullet -- rather than the perhaps 5 chefs who are already doing so. Every additional restaurant like that needs to serve 15,000 (or more) dinners a year at a check average of say $250-$300. How big is that market? Let's start with the "hard-core" e-Gullet crowd. Anyone know how many e-Gullet members have at least 200 posts, including say 5 in the last 30 days?

Edited by MichaelB (log)