• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Foodie

A couple of years ago a magazine called Foodie launched in the US and failed after its second issue.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'm not sure there's enough going on in the Midlands to warrent a whole magazine though.

Too right Andy - Leeds is clearly the place to centre such publication around :smile:

Seriously, this is quite a nice piece of work and the local touch has its appeal, lots of areas/regions could produce such a thing.

David

The editor - Alison Evison (veggie) is food critic of the Birmingham Post and runs www.eat-the-midlands.com

three reasons in that sentence alone why i won't be buying this magazine

The fourth being the name--how exquisitely 1995.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

• 3 months later...

'The only magazine dedicated to food in the Midlands.'

Not for long.

With such a rich gastronomic tradition, I predict a food magazine explosion in this area.

Coventry Culinaire

The East Midlands Gourmet

Eat Birmingham!

Flavour of Nottingham.

Ambrosial Uttoxeter (featuring Delicious Derby)

etc.

Things have changed since those days Dirk - its Staffordshire Bull Terriers and 4x4's now.

My work took me to Birmingham quite regularly over a period of about 5 years and I came to know the city centre quite well. Its no better or worse than most I've visited and there is now something of an emergent restaurant scene. That said, I did take every opportunity I could to spend the night in Ludlow rather than in town.

Birmingham's come on in leaps and bounds over the last 5 years. Find me a city in the UK that doesn't have problems - Birmingham's no different. Ok, they have gun crime (who doesn't) the worst car crime figures in England and Wales and the daftest regional accent outside Liverpool, but it's still not all that bad.

I grew up in Brum and still go back regularly since my Mum lives there. Admittedly when we go out and eat we tend to stick to Chinese, but we did have a reasonable meal at Bank a couple of weekends ago, with very good service so it's not quite all doom and gloom. Also have tentative plans to try lunch at Paris next month so that will be interesting.

By contrast, I spend a good deal of my working week in Worcester - and on the rare occasions when I venture out from my hotel, have not yet found anything more than mediocrity (Nando's excepted!).

Actually - to be honest - what I want is better food along the motorways of the Midlands since I spend so much time on the M42 - but suspect that is another thread so I'll pootle off ....

BANK is pretty consistent and still as popular as ever in Brum. It's just lost all its main players, as they go off to do their own version of BANK on their own. It'll be slap bang in the middle of the 'City' and it'll be called Opus. Not sure when exactly it's opening, but I would certainly see it being before Summer kicks in (if it ever does)

Paris is very good and well worth a trip. If you take Paris, Jessica's and Simpsons as the three main players in Brum, Paris wins hands down. Ok, it hasn't got the star, but the place itself, the sheer opulence of the room and the peerless service (can't comment on the food these days as they've had a change of Chef) create a fantastic dining experience. There was, and maybe still be, a rumour that it was closing which would be a right kick in the knackers for the city. When it opened it was hailed as the restaurant that would achieve Birmingham's first star. With a change of Head Chef during the process, it got somewhat overlooked by Michelin, which is a shame. Steve Smith who was the Head Chef employed by Pat McDonald when it first opened to achieve this star was ceremoniously fired for not hitting his GP and was then replaced by someone who's just not in the same league. Steve was ex Marco Pierre White and is now Exec Chef at Seaham Hall and is a top bloke, even though he resembles the Milky Bar Kid :unsure: