• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Please help my cousins choose a restaurant.

Alex

My cousins will be in NYC over Thanksgiving weekend and asked for assistance choosing a place to eat on Friday night, preferably Italian. She has a number of dietary restrictions, primarily meat/poultry, dairy, and sugar. Fish and seafood are ok. They've narrowed their choices to Il Buco, Esca, Fiamma Osteria, I Trulli, and Gennaro. They're also considering Nougatine and Heartbeat. Any thoughts about these?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

My cousins will be in NYC over Thanksgiving weekend and asked for assistance choosing a place to eat on Friday night, preferably Italian. She has a number of dietary restrictions, primarily meat/poultry, dairy, and sugar. Fish and seafood are ok. They've narrowed their choices to Il Buco, Esca, Fiamma Osteria, I Trulli, and Gennaro. They're also considering Nougatine and Heartbeat. Any thoughts about these?

If a restaurant's serving seafood will help your cousin find something she can eat, then go for Esca, an excellent Southern Italian seafood restaurant. Otherwise, I'd try I Trulli, whose food is unusual (Apulian) and reportedly great.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Yeh i would say Esca also.. I think it would be really hard to get into Gennaro on a friday night also.. Il Buco is a beautifull place, however the seafood doesnt stand out in my memory..

You seem to be all over the board in terms of location. Would somewhere on the UWS be helpfull, because then you might one to try the neptune room.. I havent never been there so I would ask people there impressions.

I guess it depends on where you can get a rezzy.

A Friday night reservation two days in advance in NYC is never going to be easy at a good restaurant. Any discussion about which the diner should choose may be moot.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Where did you end up alex.

It actually was my cousins, and they wound up at Esca (and did get a Fri night rez!). Her verdict: "...we went to Esca and, frankly, were disappointed. The pasta was great but all else was just okay and waaaay too pricey." She had the whole wheat pasta with sardines and walnuts.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer