• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Pasta Factory (Teaneck)

Jason Perlow

I guess I meant to say "Orthodox" or "highly observant" instead of "Glatt";

I spoke briefly with a friend who has some contact with the Orthodox, and they indicated that even the tables where fish are handled have to be kosher, even if the fish has not been cut up or scales removed.  So I don't know how you can go to a regular purveyor of fish who is also selling shellfish and even swordfish is not kosher...

N.B. I've also noticed an irony about some kosher foods--  I saw a kosher brand of yogurt from Israel, and it had about 6 unpronounceable chemicals in it; right next to it was a non-kosher, all-natural, organic yogurt with all lovely ingredients-- (it only had 4 ingredients anyway.)  Which one will promote health and long life?  :shock:

There is no rabbinic supervision on fishing boats or on docks; what goes on there seems to be of no concern to rabbinic authorities.

It may be true that the most rigorously observant people do not purchase fish, filleted or whole, from places that don't have rabbinic supervision. These people are also highly meticulous in other areas of Jewish observance, and they live in communities where this purchase option is available. Others who don't have this option will buy fish from other purveyors so long as they see the fish cut on a washed and freshly papered surface with a clean knife (some might even bring their own.)

And "kosher" doesn't mean healthy or politically correct to eat, just that it conforms to Jewish dietary laws. Brooklyn is full of kosher fast food places and candy shops.

--bloviator

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I think there's a misunderstanding somewhere. The restaurant we're talking about buys their fish from a kosher fish purveyor. It's that purveyor's responsibility to make sure where they get their fish from (Fulton, for example), has not contaminated the fish with traif, be it shellfish or knives. I'm also pretty sure that, even though they buy their fish from a kosher fishmonger, they also butcher the fish inhouse -- and a rabbinically inspected house at that.

OK -- I called and spoke with Barry, the chef. They buy their fish through Dovid's in Teaneck. Dovid chooses his fish daily at the Fulton fish market, and in addition to choosing fish specifically for the restaurant, Barry will also have him go to specific purveyors at Fulton whose product he knows is superior.

OK -- I called and spoke with Barry, the chef. They buy their fish through Dovid's in Teaneck. Dovid chooses his fish daily at the Fulton fish market, and in addition to choosing fish specifically for the restaurant, Barry will also have him go to specific purveyors at Fulton whose product he knows is superior.

i always buy my fish at dovid's-

i don't keep kosher but i always find their fish fresh and the store is well kept and clean-

Jason's review of The Pasta Factory is now online.

Read it here.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 4 weeks later...

We stopped by the Pasta Factory on Saturday night, after our Christmas Day Chinese Food dinner. I wanted dessert, but I didn't want ice cream, which is all that Taipei Noodle House had. On the drive home I was inspired... Where had we recently had wonderful desserts? The Pasta Factory.

I ordered the apple spice cake, which was accompanied by delicious house-made vanilla gelato and mango sauce. Jason ordered the cheesecake, which, while NY in style, was amazingly light and fluffy. It was frosted with whipped cream and served over strawberry coulis. One of the best cheesecakes either of us had had in a long time. We had gotten there just as they were opening (as a kosher restaurant, they are closed Friday and don't open on Saturday until 7 PM), so Chef Barry had time to chat with us. Apparently, he's been working on a cheesecake cookbook for the past few years -- I hope it gets published soon.

In addition to the desserts we ordered, the chef sent out a few items he's been working on for us to taste, including mango and chocolate sorbets. Both were excellent, although the mango could have been a little tarter (he agreed it should have more lime juice). So, I ended up with some frozen desserts anyway!

They have revised their dinner menu for the season, there are a lot of items I want to try. But many of the favorites are still there. Since Jason mentioned them in the Times, he cannot take the tuna ceviche appetizer or roasted day boat cod entree off the menu!