• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Let them eat cake ... French women's eating habits

Gifted Gourmet

In essence, he said that a Frenchman got up in the morning and started to celebrate his person.  This person husbanded his resources throughout his day to bring the best benefit in terms of toilet, fragrance, simple breakfast, pleasant avenues to his work, alternatives of both place and company for lunch, and on through the day.  Essentially, this person spent extraordinary time choosing from the best he could afford to wear, eat, drink, experience whatever his budget, or non-restrictive budget.

This is perhaps what separates us from the French.  The average American has a much more "snatch and grab" mentality to any single unimportant day.  The French realize that no day is unimportant.

Fascinating article and topic.

Both men and women I work with get to work at 7 or 8 am and work until 5 or 6 or later. We have conference calls scheduled hour after hour all day, and there is no respect for the old-fashioned "lunch hour". If I don't pack a lunch from home, I go hungry.

After the 10-11 hour day, I just don't want to cook. Fast food or take-out sound pretty good. It's easy to fall into bad habits.

Recently I have lost some weight, and I think it is due to better eating of whole foods. I am making a lot of casseroles and good-food dishes and freezing them in individual portions. I also make a quiche on Sunday that lasts me the week so I can avoid the Burger King "croissanwich". You really have to plan and make the effort on the weekends to achieve this, however.

Thanks for posting this very interesting article. I am thinking of buying the book - or at least perusing it at the local bookstore!

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"