• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoke it up

Daniel

• 3 weeks later...

Yummy-Ki-YAY!!! Thanks for channeling me to this thread---why hadn't I seen it before---the title maybe? Perhaps I associated it with the smoking hour or smoking room or smoking jacket, with parts of another thread about cigarettes.

We've had one of those nice little smokers--I remember a gentleman who invited me to his home for dinner one evening back in my dating days, and he prepared brined pork chops. They were just creamy, melty bites of the most wonderful soft tender meat.

And then I met Hubby, whose lineup of great qualities and attributes and talents and kind, honest, REALLY smart personality just swept me...you get the picture. BUT he did and does have an affinity for grills and firepits and smokers and all sorts of paraphernalia pertaining thereto. After about a month of our seeing each other, he presented me and my patio with a Weber grill, replacing the rickitik old leaning tripod we had been doing burgers on for dogs' years. After all, when you live in the center of Cue Heaven, why try to make it at home?

So, then, when we were buying our wedding rings, he steered me to another store, in which I got to choose amongst the Gucci Webers, for in his words, we were purchasing "our first piece of furniture together." Little did I know that that would lead not only to some kickass grilled delicacies over the years, but also a succession of larger and better and more updated and just the nicest...needless to say, our back yard has taken on the look of a grill emporium with grass.

We have lovely flowerbeds and hostas and patio pots of immense lacy ferns and herbs and cacti; rosebeds and petunias and a huge round vegetable garden, all punctuated with ash-sifting black statuary in the vein of all those petunia-planted toilets seen in yards with washing machines, wheelless automobiles and slinky ol' coonhounds.

If not for my insisting that FIVE of the nine be at least temporarily stored in the potting shed, there WOULD be nine of them scattered in an oddly-arranged pattern around the yard. There ARE four out there, two still sporting a looped-through set of grabbers in the one-screw-loose handle. The rickety legs allow no more movement, though the wheels are not ENTIRELY engulfed in lawngrass. Attempting to roll one invites frantic grabbing, collapse, and a cloud of ashes across your shoetops.

There are two actual Webers in sight, the newest, most up-to-date models, our mainstays and in constant use in Summer. Before we actually moved up here, he came up alone for five months in Autumn. His first shopping foray was to secure a grill---not even WalMart still had one on the floor; it was getting COLD. His distress was so evident that the department manager called his own home, spoke to his wife, and sent Hubby over to buy the one HE had purchased and only used a couple of times.

There are also two others of the home-constructed variety, hidden discreetly out behind what WAS the poolhouse and is now my potting shed. One is a little cut-in-half barrel with hinges, which served for a while. The other is an immense length of 2' steel pipe, cut in half and hinged as well, bearing a jaunty funnel-hatted stovepipe and supported by another large pipe which sits on the inverted disc which formerly served as the foot of a satellite dish. This last one was made by Hubby's brother (formerly mentioned in another thread for having built a Rodeo Ring, complete with bleachers, concession stands and Port-o-Johns, in his own YARD) for our foray into the Northern wilds, cut and welded and constructed and proudly delivered to us the first year we lived here. And since there's been no great need for roast ox yet, there it sits, testament to a brother's love and predeliction for dangerous tools.

So if your travels ever lead you across I-70, we've got two guest rooms, a real Cue Pro on staff, and enough grills to host the annual Pig-Pickin' Cookoff.

rachel

If ever there was an arguement for me to move out of Manhattan!!! Holy cow i am in awe of the set up you guys have.. The things i would do with a backyard if i had one.

Firstly, I love the fact that your husband bought you a grill while you were dating.. I do the same thing with my girlfriend, but it is with cooking tools.. Like a kitchen aide, or an ice cream maker, a waffle maker,pizza stone/peel, or maybe an order or two from penzey's, a couple of kilo's of chocolate,.. I had to get her apartment up to snuff. Hehe.

Your brother in law sounds like he is my type of crazy and extremely giving.. I would love to see the pics of the rodeo ring as well as the grill he made.. I am only into my second summer of smoking and have already thought of a crazy smoker i eventually will have to have built as well as looking into ones that need to be pulled behind your car for my next purchase..

Great stuff and may you have many chances to roast an ox in the future.. :biggrin:

Edited by Daniel (log)

Daniel . . . Here is what you need. You might have trouble parking it in Manhattan, though. My report last year on the Houston World Championship Bar-B-Que has some pretty creative rigs. Scroll down.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Daniel . . . Here is what you need. You might have trouble parking it in Manhattan, though. My report last year on the Houston World Championship Bar-B-Que has some pretty creative rigs. Scroll down.

Shoot. All I asked for for our anniversary (yesterday, evening spent at a home improvement joint) was lawn edging and a power nailer that will work with our compressor. Next year is the 25th. My request will be submitted tomorrow night!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Yes i do!!!! Haha.. I would have no problem living in the truck right over the bridge somewhere in Jersey.. I cant wait to read your report too! I flipped through some of the pictures and definately need to give that my full attention.. Stupid work keeps getting in the way.. :biggrin:

Edited by Daniel (log)