• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner notes

Florida Jim

With vegetarian lasagna:

(This is made with béchamel sauce, not red sauce and has lots of wild mushrooms in it)

2001 Liger-Belair, Vosne-Romanee Les Chaumes:

A wine that delivers intensity and strong flavors of spice, dark fruit and cocoa without weight; medium bodied, very precise and elegant across the palate, nicely concentrated and balanced; medium length. I know little about this producer but someone here is doing something right. Not sure about cellaring this but delighted to drink it now.

and,

1998 J.L. Chave, Hermitage (rouge):

Good wine but not up to expectations. Certainly young and with good depth but this tastes more like it was made in California. Its weight is authentic and the complexity discernable but where did this over-lay of chocolate and wood-spice come from?

I will chalk this showing up to youth as I can not think of a single producer more deserving of the benefit of the doubt.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com