• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Change

Florida Jim

For eight autumns we have lived amongst the sugar maples. Each day we wait for the sunlight to illuminate our stained-glass ceiling. And each year, we notice that a single day brings the most vibrant color. Not this year.

Inexplicably, the “high color” day has been going on for over three weeks. Blood reds, brilliant oranges, glowing browns and an entire palate of yellows that appear to be lit from within. Maybe because we had so much rain or maybe because it hasn’t gotten really cold yet . . . we try to guess, but nature shows us only effect, not cause.

There are no words to relate how wonderful it feels to walk among these trees. And none to explain the sadness of knowing that this is our last fall with them.

One of my adjoining neighbors has sold her 15 acres to a developer and shortly, some fifty condos will arise where only horses and cows have grazed for the last decade. We can’t watch.

Change; so beautiful in some ways, so distressing in others.

So tonight we watched the ball game; we’re not really fans, we just needed the distraction. Diane made a dish of olives, onions, white beans, Swiss-chard and chicken sausages (with feta and spinach in them), and we sampled:

2002 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Clos des Allees VV:

This wine’s period of youthful approachability is ending as it closes up and becomes more acidic than previous bottles. No worries; with time in the cellar, it’s certain to be even more beautiful than in its baby-fat days.

2000 Pieropan, La Rocca:

Not it’s best showing with this dish (which surprised me) but still a wine of depth and complexity. Although, each time I have an unoaked Soave I become more convinced that garganega should not see wood (this one has).

2001 Donnhoff, Riesling Qba:

Somewhat honeyed on the nose but almost dry on the palate; a truly lovely wine that is thirst-quenching and charming in every way. BTW, the 2002 version is on sale at Carolina Wine for $15/bottle.

2003 Tue-Boeuf, Gamay:

Slightly stemmy and surely earthy yet with such round and broad fruit as to relegate the stem/earth elements to only accents; nothing streamlined or austere about this juice; strongly flavored, very ripe fruit with decent backbone and nice complexity. Very enjoyable and, this showing convinces me, to drink my remaining bottles within the next year.

1999 Gilles-Robin, Crozes-Hermitage Cuvee Alberic Bouvet:

You know.

(This is my go to wine on even the most difficult of days; like today.)

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Sounds like you live a fine life Jim. Well done.

Just curious though. Do you and Diane finish the bottles with friends or a glass from each, gas, recork then move on or (gasp) finish the bottles?

Just wonderin'

Cheers, T

slowfood/slowwine

Just curious though. Do you and Diane finish the bottles with friends or a glass from each, gas, recork then move on or (gasp) finish the bottles?

Often times, we have guests in and the bottles are finished (or very nearly so) among the group. Last night, it was just us and a taste of this and that. I'll have notes on these wines over the next couple days just to see how they do after opening.

It did sort of look like we were drowning our sorrows, didn't it? I'm a bit too old for that stuff.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com