• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

200 to 400 New U.S. Wineries Each Year

Craig Camp

Not all, but a good deal of these are "celebrity" wineries. And I don't mean established celebrities, I mean wannabe bigshots. Someone is successful in some area of business and decides to fulfill a dream (either lifelong or recent) and make wine. But they are businesspeople first and winemakers second. So they look at the pro forma and figure they have to charge large amounts of money to make it "work."

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

This is interesting because it shows that lots of wineries are being established in states other than CA. Being in PA, I'm just delighted that there are local wineries that offer very drinkable selections that aren't an arm and a leg. For daily consumption, who needs overpriced Napa stuff? With the increasing emphasis on the slow food and sustainable agriculture movements affecting the way we eat, I think we'll see more of this as people want "home grown" wine to go with their dinners.

This is interesting because it shows that lots of wineries are being established in states other than CA.  Being in PA, I'm just delighted that there are local wineries that offer very drinkable selections that aren't an arm and a leg. For daily consumption, who needs overpriced Napa stuff?  With the increasing emphasis on the slow food and sustainable agriculture movements affecting the way we eat, I think we'll see more of this as people want "home grown" wine to go with their dinners.

You make a great point. We can't assume all of these are in California, which is where I first went. There are many showing up in all states.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Not all, but a good deal of these are "celebrity" wineries.  And I don't mean established celebrities, I mean wannabe bigshots.  Someone is successful in some area of business and decides to fulfill a dream (either lifelong or recent) and make wine.  But they are businesspeople first and winemakers second.  So they look at the pro forma and figure they have to charge large amounts of money to make it "work."

Yea, I'm speculating that wineries have replaced the bed and breakfast, as the "dream career change" for mid-life career couples / singles.

The idea of charging "large amounts of money" does make a reasonable amount of sense, since I'm assuming wineries spend a lot of money up front to get up and running before they take in a single dollar of revenue, much like restaurants.

The goal of bringing in as much money as quickly as possible is fair.

That said, making that decision without correctly analyzing the market is folly as well.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

The other aspect about charging a lot of money is the cache one receives from having an expensive wine :biggrin:

Seriously, this would be a major aspect for those doing so for the ego gratification. An expensive wine is supoosed to be a good wine whether or not it is. Conversely, if the wine is too cheap then the suggestion is that it must not be too good. Obviously, this is not necessarily true for any given wine.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz