• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Best BYO's in Northen New Jersey ?

dmccoac

With all the new BYO's opening up, thought I would ask for

some recommendations

Thanks

I wasn't aware that there was a spate of new BYOs that have recently opened. Could you name the new ones you are talking about, and for what part of Northern NJ?

If you are referring to the "Table Hopping" I don't see any more openings lately than in the past. In Bergen County, there has been maybe one new BYO in the past year.

Could we please have the names of some of these new BYOs in Northern NJ?

we're not going to tell you.

:laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

In Bergen County, there has been maybe one new BYO in the past year.

Could we please have the names of some of these new BYOs in Northern NJ?

we're not going to tell you.

here's a hint: i counted at least 8 new BYOs, in bergen county alone, in the link i provided above. :laugh:

Edited by tommy (log)

a/ the 4th post in this thread.  still.

b/ read it and tell us.  you're a smart guy, and the words are small. :raz:

Oh, yes-- but I guess my eyes are deteriorating-- the new blue format here does not show a strong color contrast when a link is shown, so I missed it.

I think you are referring to these over quite a span of time...

Baumgart's-- branch of Englewood & Ridgewood

Mo Pho Noodles-- discussed at length here

Saigon R-- Name change only

Stickey's BBQ-- A stretch to call this a "BYO"

Rocca-- has been discussed at length here

Lodos-- has gotten a mention here as well

This is over an 8-month period-- hardly a "spate" of BYOs opening, and definitely not a sign of a good economy; Food spending is actually down over last year.

Baumgart's-- branch of Englewood & Ridgewood

Mo Pho Noodles-- discussed at length here

Saigon R-- Name change only

Stickey's BBQ--  A stretch to call this a "BYO"

Rocca-- has been discussed at length here

Lodos-- has gotten a mention here as well

This is over an 8-month period--  hardly a "spate" of BYOs opening, and definitely not a sign of a good economy; Food spending is actually down over last year.

In Bergen County, there has been maybe one new BYO in the past year.

I think that BYOs are a staple of the NJ restaurant scene because of the difficulty of obtaining a liquor license. I don't think there are many other areas that have so many as a rule. Therefore it is not hard to find them.

Some of my favorites are Origin French Thai in morristown. Also, Tratorria Toscana in Whippany, Cinque Figlie in Whippany, La Pasteria in Summit, Panang in East Hanover, Trattoria Fresco in West Caldwell. There are quite a few places in Montclair. These are not new places- just my personal favorites.