• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst Blended Scotch

eat2much

was wondering if anyone had ideas as to the "worst" blended whiskies.....

Take a look at this site

Malt Madness :laugh: particularly, scroll down until you get to My 'D-graded Whisky' Warnings :hmmm:

Johnnie Walker Red Label - How can they sell so much of the stuff?

It boggles my mind every time I doubt myself and decide to give it another good tasting on the reasoning that millions of people can't be wrong. Or can they?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Looking at the Beer section, I enjoyed the discussion on "worst" beers and was wondering if anyone had ideas as to the "worst" blendsed whiskies.....

I nominate Johnny Walker Red Label.

My husband who owns enough single malt scotches to open his own scotch store, would absolutely agree with this sentiment. He would probably put Chivas second on the list

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I think the Johnny BLUE Label at about $200/bottle is about the silliest thing I've ever heard of. Who the hell would pay that much for a blend???

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I think the Johnny BLUE Label at about $200/bottle is about the silliest thing I've ever heard of.  Who the hell would pay that much for a blend???

I was given a bottle as a gift. It is not too bad when compared to Red and certainly better than Black or Chivas for that matter. However, I cannot understand why people don't just experiment more with single malts until they find one that appeals.

Actually, if you can get Johnny Walker Blue at around $120 to $140 per bottle its very good stuff. It is obscenely expensive for a blended scotch, though.

I beleive that some whiskys are good in blends, if the blender knows what they are doing. In many ways I prefer blends or soleras to single malts, but its hard to find really good artisanal examples of them. The Glenfiddich Solera Reserve 15 year old is very nice.

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/glen.../whisky650.html

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Johnny Walker Blue is definately a decent blend. Johnny Walker Green is average.

Marlene

Green? In the States we have Red, Black, Gold and Blue.

The only place I've ever seen the Green is in the duty free stores in American airports and at Heathrow airport as well. Don picked up a bottle in La Guardia airport last time we were there.

Green

this is the only thing I could find on Google.

Marlene

Apparently I'm the only person at eG who's sipped blends that are both bad and cheap! Usher's Green Stripe? Scoresby anyone? :blink: I think J&B and Cutty Sark are close to tasteless.

Among the midpriced blends, I think Johnny Walker Red is just fine--I prefer it to Black, as a matter of fact. But again, I'm the woman who took a pasting here a couple of years ago when I said that I like Seagram's gin in a martini!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com