• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What are friends for?

Andre

A friend wants to come in for a glass of wine. He just returned from Croatia and found this interesting cheese called Peg he wants me to taste.

Other friends may join, he exclaimed.

Sure! My traditional instinct replies.

Hours later and I am digging in my kitchen with another friend for whatever can provide 15 guests:

Antipasti of hard and soft cheese, smoked goose breast, assorted hams and Hungarian salami.

Cream tomato soup with bell peppers and coconut cream aided by freshly made ripe fruit confiture.

Shrimps in mild spice and cream sauce.

Slightly sautéed Calamri with pasta and Parmesan

Ribs with red wine and butter sauce with a touch of Balsami.

The wines:

Clos De Gat Rose’, Ayalon Valley, Israel 2003.

A bone dry Medium to full bodied Rose’ with just the right amount of spice to balance the fine acidity .The wine opened – up after 15 minutes and was a pleasure with most dishes.

Muscadet Sevre et Maine Sur Lie, Sauvion France1999.

Still holds a wonderful acidity and a great companion for the Sea-Food dishes. Simple yet suitable, completely dry body and mildly citrus finish.

Flam Classico, Israel, 2003.

A medium bodied fairly young Cabernet and Merlot blend that found matching only to the ribs.

Roodeberg by KWV RSA 1999.

A very well balanced, well made blend with a fairly complex medium body. Opens up after several minutes in the glass and stays there.

Cabernet Sauvignon Robertson’s Well Magnum, Australia 1995.

Over the hill and fairly disappointing vintage. High hopes from this promising producer yet nothing like the 1998-2000.

The fact that it was a magnum seemed to add very little to its aging potential – a point to reflect on in terms of Australian winemaking techniques.

Pinot Noir Limited Selection Montes Chile 2001.

Big demand for this reasonable fruity. Mild yet complex enough to match most dishes with an elegant finish. – good show. More of the same joined following the rapid emptying of the bottle.

Plancic Ivan Dolac Croatia 2002.

A simple Croatian wine yet fairly interesting medium to light bodied wine with a good tannic texture. Somewhere between Greek and Southern Italian wines. – Could not read the label and had info on the grape varieties.

Drink now.

Croatian eau de vie of different flavors followed. None of them should ever be mentioned again.

Two hours of sweating and their all happy…..

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Sounds like my kind of evening! Life just doesnt' get any better than getting a bunch of friends together for an impromptu evening of wine, good food and good and new friends....you are blessed, you know :smile: I'm with Brad~ I'm envious!

Thank you all,

Brad - all has a price and these moments make it all worth while.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.