• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ Bar Mitzvah Location ?

Rosie

A friend is planning a bar mitzvah for next September and is looking for an interesting place to have it. They are looking for something informal, airy, possibly with outdoor space...and FUN. Not your typical bar mitzvah/wedding palace, but something that could accommodate a crowd. Could be anywhere in Essex County. Any ideas?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

The Newark Museum has a beautiful outdoor space that can handle hundreds--it's billed as their sculpture garden. Even better, they have indoor space if the weather becomes an issue. PM me if you want some personal contacts there!

Edit: Substantial parking, unquestionably safe, and for those who haven't been there, a really terrific museum!!

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I had the same reaction, glenn. Liberty House adjacent to the Liberty Park rail terminal does a substantial events / catering business.

On weekend afternoons, cruise ships move downriver between 5 and 6pm, which is quite impressive.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Liberty House is a great location. In addition to Liberty House, I've seen weddings held on the other side of the park, apparently privately catered. They put up canopies and tents. I have no idea who to contact for such things though.

[cruise ships seem to go by all the time, at least in the summer. I'm there 3 or 4 times a week in the wee morning hours.]

As long as we're talking Liberty, the Liberty Science Center hosts parties. That would make an interesting location for a Bar Mitzvah.

I second that one. My daughter attended a BM there last year and proclaimed it "The Best Party EVER".

Frelinghuysen Arboretum, Morristown

A NJ winery

We were once invited to a party at a sports club that had tennis and swimming etc. for the guests.

Okay, now I'm officially confused, Rosie! Didn't YOU ask for suggestions? In ESSEX County?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Yeah, we actually investigated the cruising option when we were planning our wedding almost two years ago, and not only did it seem that the quality of the food would be questionable at best, but even back then, to get a halfway decent boat alone was going to cost $18,000 + at least another $8,500 for the food and liquor.

Considering that we were only talking about 100-125 people, we thought it was a pretty nasty price tag, especially before music, flowers and all of the usual extras. We did Highlawn Pavilion instead--got an absolutely gorgeous spring day with phenomenal views that everyone loved, and our base price was $85 a head. Gotta love it...

(The whole day went off without a hitch, they couldn't have been more gracious, the food was terrific and people are still raving--plus we're still married with twins on the way, so we consider the whole business a success... :biggrin: )

Fitz

In theory this might be fun, but the few times that I have been on any of those boats, the food was absolutely awful.

An odd alien wench

"(The whole day went off without a hitch, they couldn't have been more gracious, the food was terrific and people are still raving--plus we're still married with twins on the way, so we consider the whole business a success... )"

Twins---congratulations. What wonderful news.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Thanks, Rosie!

"(The whole day went off without a hitch, they couldn't have been more gracious, the food was terrific and people are still raving--plus we're still married with twins on the way, so we consider the whole business a success...  )"

Twins---congratulations. What wonderful news.

An odd alien wench

Considering that we were only talking about 100-125 people, we thought it was a pretty nasty price tag, especially before music, flowers and all of the usual extras.  We did Highlawn Pavilion instead--got an absolutely gorgeous spring day with phenomenal views that everyone loved, and our base price was $85 a head.  Gotta love it...

(The whole day went off without a hitch, they couldn't have been more gracious, the food was terrific and people are still raving--plus we're still married with twins on the way, so we consider the whole business a success...  :biggrin: )

Fitz

Congratulations on the twins, fitz, that's great news!

I've never heard a bad word word about parties at Highlawn Pavilion. I've attended several weddings and a few business receptions upstairs, and I've never been disappointed as a guest.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

It's funny, but that actually worked well for us. We had a seven-piece swing band and there was a devoted group of folks who pretty much danced all night. At the same time, we had a few tables of older guests who requested ahead of time to be seated "away from the music," and by putting them at the tables toward the ends of the "T" everyone was happy.

I confess that I was a bit worried about it ahead of time, but my fears were groundless. I suspect it would've been more of a problem if we were having one of those receptions with non-stop announcments by a DJ, or were trying for lots of group participation. As it happened, everything was fine, at when at one point I was coerced into getting up and sitting in with the band, all of the older folks who'd been parked at their tables the whole evening finally got up and gathered around the dance floor.

And actually, that setup made for a damned fun hora... it's hilarious to watch the video of it and see these throngs of people sorting themselves into more and more circles...

By the way, Rachel, I don't recall whether I ever told you what a great suggestion Harold's was for our rehearsal dinner, either! They were unbelievably gracious, did a beautiful job the evening of the dinner, and pretty much comped everyone they knew was a guest of ours during our entire stay whenever we grabbed breakfast or lunch there. Really lovely people!

P.S. Thanks for the good wishes, Rail Paul!

I've been a guest there twice, and while the food and service is good, I don't care for the long and narrow layout of the upstairs banquet room.

An odd alien wench