• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Experiential Cuisine

Bond Girl

As a food critic, how do you feel about experiential cuisine? How would you judge food that were may be experiemental and creative and gives you a different experience of dining but does not necessarily taste good?

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

I now realize, Bond Girl, that you said experiential..not experimental...but isn't all eating and tasting experiential? I assume you mean for its own sake, as at the highly-touted El Bulli in Spain where I have not been...That is fine if it is so labeled and not offered as being a real meal..it is a great luxury, of course, and very elitist, especially when so much foam is involved, but for those who care, a very intriguing esoteric experience...and one with a long history..ours is not the first generation to create such eating.

I believe (from an art history course back in the stone ages) the Dadaist in the 30's were really be on the experience of eating and served strange things like live lobsters and ball bearings. Not edible but experiential.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.