• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for Gift Certificate to LA Restaurant?

Tee

First of all, let me confess that I am an east-coaster who knows NOTHING about the dining scene in LA--which is why I desperately need your help!

Two friends of mine recently got married, and though I was unable to attend their wedding, I'd love to send them a gift certificate to a restaurant in LA. Only problem is that I don't think I know a single one!

My budget is $150. The couple has fairly hippie tastes (despite the fact he's a lawyer, I promise), so I'm thinking something funky, small, romantic, and maybe even organic? (Though that is not a pre-req).

Any and all ideas would be much appreciated! Many thanks.

I should have known there would be tough questions. . .

His office is in Century City, so I would assume he lives somewhat nearby (again, my lack of familiarity with the area is shining through). Then again, people in DC think nothing of an hour commute!

Does that help at all? :blink:

Well, he might work in Century City but live in Pasadena -- which is not only a world, but miles apart...

I might recommend something that promotes romance... perhaps a dinner gift certificate at The Restaurant at The Getty which would necessitate a visit to the museum, or a dinner certificate to Kendall's Brasserie at the Music Center, along with tickets to a performance? (I would have suggested Patina, but that would have been beyond your budget).

I say to think beyond the simple dinner -- make it an event of some sort!

Tee:

I wouldn't ordinarily recommend this place for a wedding present gift certificate, but your description of the couple and their food preferences made me think of Juliano's Raw restaurant in Santa Monica. The food is vegan and "raw." It's a relatively upscale place, but it definitely fits your budget. It's a nice room, but I wouldn't call it romantic. This restaurant is definitely not for everyone, but it's quite good if you're in to that kind of thing. Here is a link to the restaurant. You can check out the menu and also view some pictures of the restaurant and some of the dishes.

Juliano's Raw Restaurant

For some more traditional places that should fit your budget (more or less, though perhaps without wine), consider

Campanile Campanile,

Lucques Lucques

Joes

and other places that others will hopefully recommend.

Good luck!

Don't know if your friends live close to this place, but also consider Inn of the Seventh Ray: http://www.innoftheseventhray.com/

Romantic, organic, vegetarian-friendly, new-agey and in your price range...

It's not in the most accessible location but that's part of the fun -- you have to go into the Santa Monica mountains...I've made the drive more than once from the South Bay, though (that's way on the other side of LA from Topanga).

Tee, can you hone in a little closer on where they are in LA? Specifically, where do they live, and not work?

People in LA are used to making hellish commutes, but that doesn't mean you want to make them do it. You can dine extravagantly in many locations, but if you're sending them out for a Very Nice Evening, and encouraging romance, keep it closer to home. No one wants to drive home for an hour after they just ate oysters and champagne.

If you know what I mean and I think you do.

Tee -- Tana is right about honing in on where they live. Supposedly you know their home address. Right? If it's a city name other than LA (Pasadena, Encino, Torrance, ???) provide that. If it's LA, give us the zip code and we Angelenos will figure it out.

If they are anywhere on the westside, we had a lovely anniversary dinner last year at Zax in Brentwood. Nice food, relaxed atmosphere and in your price range.

So long and thanks for all the fish.