• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Espresso/coffeee for tiramisu

kiliki

The recipe calls for a cup of espresso, and since I don't have an espresso maker, I'd have to go and buy enough shots from a coffeehouse. Can I use strongly brewed (good quality) coffee instead? I usually make coffee in a french press-does anyone know the ratio of coffee:water I'd use? Thanks.

This is for a family gathering and the family is NOT comprised of foodies so the difference between coffee and espresso in the tiramisu will probably be lost on them.

I can't answer your question re: using strong coffee, but I can tell you about the time I made tiramisu and went to Starbucks to get a cup of espresso.

It was around 8pm when I wandered into the store...

me: "I'd like a cup of espresso."

Starbucks Dude (SD): "We sell espresso by the shot."

me: "Yes... I'd like a cup of them."

SD (showing early signs of confusion): "Well, we put the shot in a cup."

me: "I would like you to take that cup [pointing at the 'tall' cup] and fill it with espresso."

SD (looking baffled): "That's a lot of shots."

me (trying to stay patient): "Yes. Please fill that cup with espresso until it's full, and charge me for however many shots it is."

SD: "hoooKAY. I guess I can do that."

me: "Thank you."

SD: "What are you trying to do, like, stay up all night or something?"

me: "..."

me: "No, I am making a tiramisu."

SD: "What's that?"

oy.

(I did finally get my full cup of espresso, but wow!)

Edited by pandorphus (log)

Use a good tasting strong coffee instead.

Here's Mario Batali's version. He calls for either espresso or you can substitute instant coffee (see the recipe).

Here is Emeril's version. He calls for espresso or just a strong coffee blend.

Here is the Epicurious recipe, which calls for either strong coffee or espresso.

Some recipes I've seen even use espresso powder. If you don't have an espresso machine, don't sweat it...go the "strong coffee" route.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Thanks, I will try strong coffee. I did search the foodtv and epicurious sites also, but didn't trust some of those recipes (Emeril uses ricotta instead of mascarpone? And Mario instant coffee? Bleh.).

To be fair that's instant espresso which seems to garner some legitmacy, particularly when you don't want to add much water content to a dessert (e.g., coffee-flavored gelato).