• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stuff for Keeping Food Warm

robyn

I don't know why I didn't think of this before.  I have used my electric griddles for keeping foods warm when the hot trays were not enough.  The lowest temp is usually just right for keeping things like rumaki warm...

I used to have electric griddles - but when I ruined the 2nd or 3rd "immersible" one by immersing it - I switched to a stovetop griddle. Still - at the right price - just about anything makes sense. I saw last week that Costco is getting in all its holiday serving ware - and I'll check it out over the next couple of weeks. Thanks, Robyn

I just came from Costco and noticed they had a new chafing dish - stainless steel and it's beautiful. I *think* the price was $59 or so. 5 or 6 is a lot to invest in if you're not likely to use them again. Does your church (or other place of worship), or office have some you might borrow? Also, I believe chafing dishes can be rented from restaurant or catering supply companies.

Isn't it funny, you've got people all over the US (and abroad, no doubt) thinking of you when they run across a chafing dish?

Editing to add: This is the one at Costco, and it looks like Sams has it as well. Very nice! http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shoppin...708548&mt=a&n=0

Edited by msphoebe (log)

I have a couple of cheapy chafing dishes - one I found at a discount outlet (Big Lots) and one I got off of eBay. They work pretty well. I am thinking about getting one or two from Costco before our annual holiday party this year, they are nice-looking and seem sturdy.

I agree that too many electric warmers make for messy cords, potential trip hazards, etc. I have always used chafing dishes because when we set up for a buffet, the way we position our dining table cuts off access to an electrical outlet, and I don't want to get sued because someone tripped over an extension cord reaching for a potsticker. :rolleyes:

The only electric item I use for keeping things warm at parties is my Crock-pot. That's actually about the only thing I use it for, the other being making pulled chicken for green chile chicken enchiladas. I've used the Crock-pot for a thick soup and a queso dip. Don't know how well it would work on anything else. HTH

ETA - just occurred to me the other electric item I've used for food service at a buffet table is our electric fondue pot. It has a thermostat so you can adjust the heat up or down as needed. I used it to serve (what else) fondue, but I imagine it would work for other things also.

Edited by designchick88 (log)

I just came from Costco and noticed they had a new chafing dish - stainless steel and it's beautiful.  I *think* the price was $59 or so.  5 or 6 is a lot to invest in if you're not likely to use them again.  Does your church (or other place of worship), or office have some you might borrow?  Also, I believe chafing dishes can be rented from restaurant or catering supply companies.

Isn't it funny, you've got people all over the US (and abroad, no doubt) thinking of you when they run across a chafing dish?

Editing to add:  This is the one at Costco, and it looks like Sams has it as well.  Very nice!  http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shoppin...708548&mt=a&n=0

Our Costco didn't have that one last week. It does have a 4 quart round for between $25-30 (forget the exact price). Can't exactly say it was beautiful - but it wasn't ugly. Wouldn't detract from the rest of the table setting.

I hope I'm not the only one thinking of putting out a nice holiday spread - and I hope my questions - and the answers from all of you here - will be useful to lots of other people.

On my part - our holiday plans may be making a 180 degree turn. The family that's coming here (they've never come here before) was supposed to come for Thanksgiving with my husband's Dad. He's very sick - he recently got worse - and he's starting radiation therapy in his head next week - for 2 months. By Thanksgiving - I don't think he's going to be up for a meal at our house. So the family will probably spend the day at the nursing home - and I may wind up making something quick and easy for dinner at night (like steaks on the BBQ). Guess I'll just have to remain flexible - and see what happens. I hope my cooking and hospitality skills are up to it - and that all (most) of you don't have to deal with something like this during the holiday season (although most of us will deal with things like this some time or another during our lives). Best wishes, Robyn

I hope my cooking and hospitality skills are up to it - and that all (most) of you don't have to deal with something like this during the holiday season (although most of us will deal with things like this some time or another during our lives). 

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. :sad: Don't doubt your skills - I am sure you'll do fine. Sorry to hear about your hubby's dad. Food and companionship can be good comforts during difficult times though. Hope all will be well with you and yours.

Sams and Costco both have $30 or so chafing dishes.

Sams also has wire frames were you use disposable steam try and disposable serving pans. I have 8 sets of these that I use for events. They work great and if they get to mangled just throw them out. I purchase the half sized pans for $3.65 or so.

Works perfectly for almost any occasion and looks ok. For a really dressy event I would splurge for the $30 dish, but for most events the wire frames work perfectly.

Never trust a skinny chef

I have a couple of cheapy chafing dishes - one I found at a discount outlet (Big Lots) and one I got off of eBay. They work pretty well. I am thinking about getting one or two from Costco before our annual holiday party this year, they are nice-looking and seem sturdy.

I agree that too many electric warmers make for messy cords, potential trip hazards, etc. I have always used chafing dishes because when we set up for a buffet, the way we position our dining table cuts off access to an electrical outlet, and I don't want to get sued because someone tripped over an extension cord reaching for a potsticker.  :rolleyes:

The only electric item I use for keeping things warm at parties is my Crock-pot. That's actually about the only thing I use it for, the other being making pulled chicken for green chile chicken enchiladas. I've used the Crock-pot for a thick soup and a queso dip. Don't know how well it would work on anything else. HTH

ETA - just occurred to me the other electric item I've used for food service at a buffet table is our electric fondue pot. It has a thermostat so you can adjust the heat up or down as needed. I used it to serve (what else) fondue, but I imagine it would work for other things also.

My husband and I are both retired lawyers who did a lot of personal injury work - can appreciate the "trip and fall" aversion :smile: . On the other hand - most people who get hurt in houses live in those houses! Can't sue yourself - but you don't want to break your arm because you tripped on a cord after having a reasonable amount of liquid holiday refreshment.

Will the crock pot work for a holiday soup - like corn chowder - just keeping it warm without getting it so hot that it thickens up too much? That is an appliance I've always wanted to try out - and this might be a good excuse. (My basic rule of thumb is I don't buy any appliance "on spec" - I have to have at least one meal planned that I'll use it for before I buy it.)

By the way - I am a big Ebay fan - mostly as a seller. I've sold a fair amount of kitchen stuff over the years - like my old Cuisinart 14 cup food processor which I hadn't used for years because it was too large for my needs (bought it to make Thanksgiving dinners - and then no one came to our house for Thanksgiving for 20 years!). Took what I got for it - added a few bucks - and bought a newer smaller food processor which I use a lot more. Only problem with being a seller is there's a learning curve in terms of becoming a shipping clerk :smile: . Advice to buyers - investigate your sellers. I think there are a lot who sell a lot of junk (their definition of "near mint" is sometimes my definition of stuff I'd be embarrassed to give to Goodwill).

Thanks for the kind thoughts about family. Movies/TV always make it sound/look so easy. People just "pass away" peacefully looking as wonderful as they did before they got sick (of course - people who get shot and die don't bleed either :wacko: ). Those of us in the real world know it doesn't always happen that way. Plus - there's a lot of tension. E.g., my husband has a bad back - so whenever he tries to help his father get into and out of the car (it's like lifting a deadweight) - he stands a good chance of throwing his back out. Then I get mad. Luckily - I've always been a person who is quick to yell and blow off steam when I'm angry (those of you who've read a lot of my messages might have guessed that :wink: ) - but I am also quick to simmer down after. So there are ups and downs - but I will muddle through. Think the people who have it worst are those who can't/don't feel free to ventilate once in a while. Robyn

I think the Crock-pot would work for a corn chowder but you may have to watch it to keep it from thickening too much. I used mine for a green chile chicken corn chowder but my corn chowder is not really thick. It also wasn't out that long -maybe a couple hours, max. If you are really concerned about the heat factor - apparently old Crock-pots don't heat as highly as the newer models, so if you have access to an older pot through friends/relatives, maybe borrow it and test it out.

I have had one foray into selling on eBay and I totally underestimated the shipping, so I didn't end up making the money I thought I would. I will have to try it again. It might be a good way to finance some new kitchen toys. :)

We lost my FIL to a motorcycle accident a few years back and you are so right that circumstances surrounding death are never as neat and tidy as TV and movies makes it seem. I have a quick temper also and in times of stress it can really manifest itself in bad ways, but the most important thing for us was just to be there for each other. Best of luck to you both.

Robyn - in the food safety course I took, we were advised that crock pots are ok for holding hot food, but it is potentially unsafe to re-heat food in them because the food will be in the "danger zone" between 40 and 140 degrees for too long a time. At the gatherings I cater (where we usually offer 2-4 soups at each meal and serve them in crock pots), we heat the soups in a pot on a portable stove and pour them into warmed crock pots (put a little water in the bottom of the crock while heating it to ensure it doesn't crack, then dump the water before you pour the soup in).

Best - NJH

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

• 4 weeks later...
Robyn - in the food safety course I took, we were advised that crock pots are ok for holding hot food, but it is potentially unsafe to re-heat food in them because the food will be in the "danger zone" between 40 and 140 degrees for too long a time.  At the gatherings I cater (where we usually offer 2-4 soups at each meal and serve them in crock pots), we heat the soups in a pot on a portable stove and pour them into warmed crock pots (put a little water in the bottom of the crock while heating it to ensure it doesn't crack, then dump the water before you pour the soup in).

Best - NJH

Thanks for the food warning. I try to be careful - but there's no harm being reminded a bunch of times. Last thing I want to do is poison myself or my guests (don't have enough bathrooms :biggrin: ).

I did order a little portable stove last week (not for Thanksgiving but for next year's hurricane season - you couldn't find one of those things within 1000 miles of Florida in the late summer or early fall) - so I may heat up the soup on the regular stove - and then put it on the portable stove (assuming it arrives in time for Thanksgiving). Robyn