• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetarian intestines

beccaboo

I was at the Vietnamsese shop buying rice papers for my daughter's back-to-school spring-roll dinner, when I found and bought vegetarian intestines. How shall I fix them? The packet recommends stir-frying them or putting them in soup--my daughter doesn't like soup (!), so I'd better fry them. Does anyone have a recipe, preferably SE Asian?

I thought maybe frying them with tomato, chiles, and basil would be good....

We're having the uncooked kind of spring rolls, and peanut sauce, and tomato-tofu salad for the rest of our dinner.

Could they be used as a casing for vegetarian sausages?

They look too skinny for that....

Their main ingredients are yam flour and soy protein.

The 'serving suggestion' picture has them coiled up on a plate, bare and white, next to a bottle of wine.

what on earth is a 'vegetarian intestine'?????  :wacko:  Is this the ultimate sacrifice of a vegetarian??  And if so, what happened to the rest of the poor vegetarian???  :wacko:  :shock:  :laugh:

That was my thought too: remember, conscientious cooks use every part of the vegetarian!

But it sounds like a form of mock meat. I'm guessing that they'd be good fried.

What was the Vietnamese name of this on the package? I can ask my in-laws about it.

And was the thought of "vegetarian intestines" just so enticing and delicious sounding you couldn't resist? :smile:

"Hey, don't borgnine the sandwich." -- H. Simpson

What was the Vietnamese name of this on the package? I can ask my in-laws about it.

And was the thought of "vegetarian intestines" just so enticing and delicious sounding you couldn't resist?  :smile:

It's actually from Taiwan, so all the writing's in either English or Chinese.

This store has a whole new section by the tofu of refrigerated fake meats--there are shrimps, abalone, chicken livers...all fake. I got some shrimps, too. They probably don't taste like much, but I thought they'd look cute in the spring rolls.

This is the funniest topic name I have seen on eG.

Really, I just left the forum, and came back, to make sure I read it correctly. :laugh:

on a serious note. hm. I'm really surprised that they don't show some sort of serving suggestiong, like a stuffing of some sort (rice? veg?) I've got no experience with them, though. I wish I could help!

We have had Gardenburger for a while. Now what? GardenChittlin'?

Sounds like something that Mamaw served up after Papaw has his heart spell.

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

I am tempted to respond that it might have something to do with dragons.... :blink:

No, no. Dragons eat virgins, not vegetarians.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

No, no.  Dragons eat virgins, not vegetarians.

There is an lewd thought here somewhere. Something about neither eating meat.

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

I thought maybe frying them with tomato, chiles, and basil would be good....

So, how did you end up cooking these? I'm curious as to whether they're meant to be casings to be stuffed or eaten as described from the picture on the package.

How did they taste - flavor/texture?

Oops, I see where you said they're too skinny.

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

This store has a whole new section by the tofu of refrigerated fake meats--there are shrimps, abalone, chicken livers...all fake.  I got some shrimps, too.  They probably don't taste like much, but I thought they'd look cute in the spring rolls.

I am very envious. I love the wild variety of Asian fake meats. "Intestines" sound like they would be good in a kind of chow-fun-ish preparation.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

So, how did you end up cooking these?  I'm curious as to whether they're meant to be casings to be stuffed or eaten as described from the picture on the package. 

I'm making them tonight--I guess I'll fry them with some tomatoes, chiles, and pepper, and add some soybean sauce and sesame oil. I'll tell you how they turned out.

(edited to fix grievous typo)

Edited by beccaboo (log)

On a related note, I picked up some pork sprouts and beef blossoms at the store the other day. Any idea on how to prepare?

Think of the marketing potential!!! Faux vegetables for carnivores. You are a genius!!!!

And how did the intestines turn out??? We are all dying to know!

Think of the marketing potential!!! Faux vegetables for carnivores. You are a genius!!!!

I can't believe no one else saw the "Non Sequitor" comic that ran about a month ago:

A man looking at a case of frozen food with names like "Pork-occoli!" "Ham-tatoes!" "Steaked Beans!" and a caption that said something like, "The Meat Industry Bites Back." Alas, the comic is now archived.

They were pretty good. They didn't taste like much, but they had a pleasantly rubbery texture, kind of like octopus. I took pictures to show you all, but they're nowhere to be found on the computer--I'll have to get them out of the camera again, and then I'll tell about the intestines in further detail.