• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Virginia ABC Stores

razzar

So, I go into a Virginia ABC store Sunday afternoon (!), and am kinda surprised about what's going on as a result of trying to respond to competition from private District liquor stores:

Clerks recommending brands of liquor (as opposed to the traditional ABC attitude of wanting to deliver a temperance lecture);

Recommending ways of serving the stuff;

Special ordering single bottles;

Calling you when the order comes in;

Being open on Sunday (repeating myself).

This is almost too much for my old system to bear.

Rick Azzarano

:blink:

This is indeed amazing news. The location I used to frequent (if one could call it that. I'm more of a wine gal than anything else) always had an intimidating air about it.

In fact, I can't think of any of the 2-3 locations I've been to where I've had any sort of service.

Good to hear!

What are the differences in price between liquor stores in the District and Virginia? I recently moved to D.C. from Virginia, but I haven't really paid that much attention.

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.

What are the differences in price between liquor stores in the District and Virginia? I recently moved to D.C. from Virginia, but I haven't really paid that much attention.

There is a large price differential due to a lower liquor tax rate in DC and competition. Back when Central Liquor was in its heyday, the VA revenooers used to stake out the parking lot across the street and follow cars with VA plates that had loaded up and then stop them once they crossed the river. The DC government got a permanent injunction against VA barring them from their stake outs.