• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Specator visits the Okanagan

Keith Talent

Damn that Jamie Maw for beating me to the punch. Actually damn the stupid Spectator for changing the date on the article to Aug 17/04. To be honest I remembered something similar to this, but thought the date meant it was another and/or significantly updated piece.

I'm going to start getting my bizzarely skewed wine scores somewhere else from here on out.

Sorry man. I could have just let you live in ignorant bliss but where is the fun in that !

It was the July issue. I bought it because I can not go into Barbara Jo's without buying anything. I found the article to gloss over the Valley unlike an in depth article. I mean you see so many articles on a particular acre in Napa and the two guys who harvest the grapes on it and a brief gloosing over of the whole Okanagan Valley. But hey , any press is good press !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

The Okanogan will get its due, many great chefs are converging on the valley, sick of the city scenes, they are collecting a slue of great chefs from all over Canada, nice place to live and each venue is a stage for the chefs to show what they can do, also show their wine and food combining skills, we need to sell our own wares and get off our buts and not wait for someone else to promote and sell what we have in BC.

Wake up BC government, stop the Olympic rhetoric and move forward on Tourism, it is not how much you are going to make on your Condo premier but what the long term benefits of Tourism will do for the GPP, we are # 1, wake up and smell the cappuccino.

Small business is BC biggest growth industries not resource based industries, it is the mandate of the BC government to keep tourism down at # 3 but in reality we are # 1.

Transportation and cruise industry is part of tourism not separate entities; the restaurant industry, the wine industry, the beer industry, the agriculture industry and the many companies that support and move people and products all belong to TIAC. (The tourism industry of Canada)

If you include Transportation in your stats, you will see we are #1.

Premier wake up!!!

Spend money now on promoting these places on Van Island and the Okanogan, did you know that West Edmonton mall has a bigger promotional budget then you do.

Remember that it is not about you and how much money you and your Cronies will make on real state in Whistler, it is about the Chefs, cooks, waiters, sommeliers, wine makers, beer makers, bus people, door people, engineers, dishwashers, owners, wholesalers, pilots, bus drivers, taxi drivers, Captains, all cruise people, all wholesale industry people and all the logistic people out there we are the largest employer in the province, wake up!!

That is it for my rant.

Thank you and good bye

Chef Steve

AKA the Rajun Cajun

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

No hate at all.

I just find that " they " as an egocentric American publiucation , gloss over ( although we did get in the wine spec. ) the Okanagan Valley in a short article and it is always about Napa , Napa etc.........

I would like to see some more detailed articles on specific wineries etc.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com