• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for a reco in Princeton

dans

My wife and I will be meeting up with the rest of our family in Princeton and we are looking for a restaurant to go to where we can have a nice dinner by ourselves on one night and have a family get together the next. There will be about 12 of us, so a private room might be good.

Thanks

Dan

Kim,

Thanks for your help.

When my wife and I go out, we look for excellent food and wine list. Withthe other portion of the family coming the second night, we should be more concerned with price and having children there.

Dan

My wife and I lived in Princeton for about 40 years. Over that time, only a few restaurants have lasted and had good reps.

Lahieres - Very expensive - Not one of OUR favorites but highly recommended by many people. On Witherspoon St.

Ferry House - Very good. Used to be in Lambertville. Fairly expensive. On Witherspoon St.

Carousel - A TINY place that used to be open only for breakfast and lunch. I think they are now open for dinner. If you went with the entire group, you would just about fill the place. On Nassau St.

A&B - (Alchemist & Barrister) - Went infrequently. Can be noisy. However, they have a couple of smaller rooms in the front. On Witherspoon St.

If you like Chinese food, try Sunny Garden. They do have a smaller back room for family functions. On Farber Rd. (Off Rte 1 just South of Meadow Rd.)

With a crowd, you might want to consider Triumph Brewery or Kalluri corner on nassau Street. Tap room@ nassau Inn is nice for drinks and a history lesson.

( you're probably staying there, right? If you are staying at one of the hotels on route 1, this list could change..for the better...) Alchemist and Barrister, (Witherspoon st ) along with Big fish ( near Alexander road and route 1) will also both be fine for families and kids.

Fine dining is more of a challenge..better options if you want to drive 15-20 minutes out of town. I guess the best bet is Ferry House..I'd stay clear of Lahiere's..like a preserved dinosaur, stuck in time...and really showing its age in its cleanliness and general appearance. .. but, stunning (albiet horribly overpriced) wines. the peacock Inn can be good if you aren't looking for anything adventurous..salmons, duck, a bit ho hum but usually well executed.

We're actually staying at the Radisson. I don't know where that is in relation to these places, but if it helps narrow it down some...

I've heard good things about The Ferry House and Blue Point Grill. How do you think either would be for a large party?

Dan