• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eugene and Portland, OR restaurant reccomendations

I lived in Eugene a few years ago (but only for a short time) and am headed back next week for a two-week vacation - will be in Portland (for fun) and Eugene (for a wedding). Anyone have any restaurant recs in either city, or anywhere in between? I love the Glenwood, so I'll already be headed there. Where else? Thanks...

Eat.Drink.DC.

...dining in the district...

Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.

- Orson Welles

In Portland I like Higgins for a nice meal with fresh local ingrediants. It's been about 2 years since I was there but I think this is known for good food consistantly.

For seafood Jake's (owned by McCormick and Schmidts) is always good. It is a loud bustling place.

Love Navarre, they serve desserts from Pix Patisserie.

Brassiere Montemarte is great for French bistrot food, especially the late night menu.

Also tried Fratelli's in the Pearl last time I was there. The food was great but the service was a bit off, I think it was just an off night. Would definately try it again.

For lunch I really like Paragon in the Pearl Dist. Great sandwiches and a nice cafe atmosphere.

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

If you like Thai food, Eugene has two interesting, and very different, options, that I often go to when I'm down there. (Grew up just outside of Eugene: Go Elmira Falcons!) Anyway, they're Chao Pra Ya and Ring of Fire. Chao Pra Ya is more traditional and cheaper. I think I've liked everything I've had there. Ring of Fire is more like our Typhoon up here, more suited to the American palate. But their preparations are impeccable. And they have an awesome dessert and people seem to really like the bar. The dessert consists of fried bananas with honey and coconut ice cream. I've had similar things at other places, but this is by far the best one I've had. The only comparable place was Abacus in Dallas, but that's a **** fine-dining restaurant. My friend and I usually go to Chao Pra Ya for food and Ring of Fire for dessert now. But my wife prefers Ring of Fire. And their yellow curry with apples is something I've craved before. Sweet, but in a good way.

I also go to Priya Indian over in Santa Clara area, I think. If the buffet is busy, then it's usually pretty decent, but I prefer to go in the evening and order.

For Portland, check out these threads:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=48378

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=41040

If you have something specific you're looking for in Portland, it'd be easier to recommend.

Between Eugene and Portland is the heart of Oregon's wine country, and in that area you'll find some excellent restaurants. I'd suggest Tina's and Red Hills Provincial in Dundee, and Joel Palmer House in Dayton.

You might also want to pose your question on the eGullet wine board, as I'm sure many folks there have visited the Willamette Valley...

Mark

I'll be in Portland too in a couple weeks (for a bachelor party) and am staying at the Jupiter Hotel on East Burnside. I was thinking of having dinner one night at Le Bistro Montage and breakfast one morning at the J&M Cafe. Are these any good, and can someone recommend some places in the area that are good (also any good places near Powell's City of Books?)

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Is cajun what you're looking for?

I've never had crawfish and was told this was a good place to try it. I thought about Jake's, but I don't want to pay $$$ or dress up.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Thanks for all of the tips, I have so many places to choose from now!!

As far as Marche in Eugene, I know the owners opened up Bamboo (an Asian Fusion place in 5th St Market (i think its called that..), where Marche is) a few years ago.. Do you know if it's still open, and if so, how is it?? Sevice-wise, and food-wise? (Leaving tomorrow for vacay :biggrin: so post soon, please please please!! )

Thanks

:smile:

Eat.Drink.DC.

...dining in the district...

Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.

- Orson Welles

I got back from Portland yesterday afternoon and lay down to take a nap and woke up this morning. I had a great time and was thouroughly stuffed. Friday night we wound up eating at La Bistro Montage (a two hour wait but the food was good and the atmosphere was fun). The next morning we had breakfast at the J&M Cafe, lunch at Henry's on 12th, and Dinner at El Gaucho. All were excellent and ran the gammut of real cheap (J&M) to over $100 per person (El Gaucho). I finally got to experience Chateau Brijond (sp?) and now I don't want anything else. Finally Sunday we had breakfast at the Cricket Cafe, which was good but I liked J&M better, and we grabbed lunch at Burgerville on our way out of town. I still don't think BV is worth all the fuss. There was barely any lettuce on my Classic, and I think Tully's makes better shakes. I do admit the hamburger patty tasted better than average, but it's still a pre frozen patty, despite its local origin.

I will have to come back to Portland soon because theer were too many restaurants I wanted to try in the time I had.