• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Flavours" magazine

Krista G

I enjoy reading bits from Flavours magazine on the The Star website, and wanted to get print copies here in NYC. The price is 1yr (6 issues) = RM55.00, which is about $14.50. That's fine, but they want to charge RM 36.00 per copy for shipping, which is around $9.50. $72 for six issues seems a little pricey to me...or is that fair for an international subscription?

Flavours is one of the better local food magazines we get in Malaysia / Singapore.

But US$72 for 6 issues sounds pricey even for international subscriptions.

Here's a comparison of the prices of US food magazines in Malaysia - the price of Gourmet, Saveur, Food & Wine and Bon Apetit here in Malaysia range from RM20 to RM32 an issue (divide by 3.80 for the US$ amount) if you buy them the bookshops (the price varies issue from issue and it also depends which book distributor the bookshop gets it from).

I enjoy reading bits from Flavours magazine on the The Star website, and wanted to get print copies here in NYC. The price is 1yr (6 issues) = RM55.00, which is about $14.50. That's fine, but they want to charge RM 36.00 per copy for shipping, which is around $9.50. $72 for six issues seems a little pricey to me...or is that fair for an international subscription?

Have you considered asking them to ship you multiple issues once every quarter or every 6 months to save on shipping?

I enjoy reading bits from Flavours magazine on the The Star website, and wanted to get print copies here in NYC. The price is 1yr (6 issues) = RM55.00, which is about $14.50. That's fine, but  they want to charge RM 36.00 per copy for shipping, which is around $9.50. $72 for six issues seems a little pricey to me...or is that fair for an international subscription?

Have you considered asking them to ship you multiple issues once every quarter or every 6 months to save on shipping?

I suppose it couldn't hurt to ask, though I don't have much faith in subscription departments being able to keep track of special requests (I seem to have enough trouble getting my American magazines to show up properly). It's too bad they don't just sell it on the newstand or specialty shops here.

Krista, I'm not sure if they sell it at the newstands, but I'll check this weekend. They'll probably cost just a little more. I don't mind sending you the mags. I think book post is quite cheap. I sent a thick-covered Debbie Brown book to a friend in California recently and I think the postage was RM20 plus. This mag should cost less than half of that.

Oh, and via book post, it took only 6 days to reach.

Edited by TP(M'sia) (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

They do sell it at the newstands; I've bought a couple of my issues when I visited Malacca or Kuala Lumpur. And I agree with Shewie that it's one of the better magazines around Malaysia-Singapore; I only wish there were more such magazines.

It is certainly worthwhile to purchase some of the back issues. They had two issues that featured laksa from all over the Malaysian states, and that allowed for an excellent comparison of the types of laksa and the various cultural influences on the final outcome.

Another issue featured the many types of bananas in Malaysia; for those raised on the standard supermarket variety, you'd be surprised at the many options that are available.

What I also enjoyed a lot were the guidebooks that featured food stalls and restaurants from different states that come with each edition. I've used a couple of them several times on my visits to Malaysia to eat. Not everything may be to your liking, but definitely some gems. I normally validate with my Malaysian friends on how to spend those precious meals; there's only so much appetite per day!

Krista, I'm not sure if they sell it at the newstands, but I'll check this weekend. They'll probably cost just a little more. I don't mind sending you the mags. I think book post is quite cheap.

Well, thank you for the offer. I'm so jealous of all the great food resources in S.E. Asia. Of course, NYC has many merits, but we're lacking in Malaysian-Singaporean culture.