• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asparagus Steamer

Anna N

My daughter wants to buy an asparagus steamer. I am trying to dissuade her as I consider it a one-use appliance that takes up too much space. I steam asparagus by putting a round cooling rack in the bottom of a deep saute pan and placing the asparagus on the rack and about a half-inch of water in the pan.

If you own an asparagus steamer, tell me that you have found a thousand other uses for it so I can back down on this argument.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, you can also use it to weigh something down. Just fill it with water first and it's pretty heavy.

:wink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

My daughter wants to buy an asparagus steamer. I am trying to dissuade her as I consider it a one-use appliance that takes up too much space. I steam asparagus by putting a round cooling rack in the bottom of a deep saute pan and placing the asparagus on the rack and about a half-inch of water in the pan.

If you own an asparagus steamer, tell me that you have found a thousand other uses for it so I can back down on this argument.

I own an asparagus steamer. However, I can't tell you that I've found other uses for it. In fact, two moves ago (the one to Thailand), it went into a box that lives in my storage room. Really not sure why it hasn't gone into the bin in subsequent moves.

I find that well trimmed asparagus cooks perfectly with the same method I use for almost all green vegetables:

Parboil in gargantuan quantities of water at a roiling boil, the water having been salted almost to the point of saturation. Refresh in ice water when desired degree of doneness is attained. Desired degree of doneness will depend on whether the preparation requires further cooking and, if so, how much.

There was a time that I used the asparagus steamer, but I find the boiling method to be far superior.

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

The asparagus steamer does seem to be a single use item and as Alton Brown would say, your only single use item should be the fire extinguisher. I just use the steamer I use with other vegetables (mine is a large pot with two steaming units one large one small) and it works fine. Add to this the fact that grilled and par boiled are also good methods really limits the use of this item.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

I bought an asparagus steamer a few years ago because it was on sale (at Lechter's when they were closing; remember Lechter's?) and I thought it was kind of cool looking. It is definitely a single-use item. However, I love it. Stick the asparagus in, cook until it turns that lovely perfect green, then just lift out the basket with the asparagus and run it under cold water, and voila! perfect asparagus, every time. And I don't have to think about which pot I'll cook the asparagus in when every other pot has something else in it. So, no, I don't have a thousand other uses for it. However, I love it for making asparagus. Also, the pot is tall and thin so it doesn't interfere with other short squat pots on the stove. I say your daughter should go for it. (And I apologize to you, because I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I have to maintain my unpopularity. :rolleyes: )

I think it's a great gadget. But in truth, if it hadn't been on sale I never would have bought it.

Why do you need an asparagus steamer when roasting is the best method for preparing asparagus? :blink:

I'm backing you up 150% Rachel.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I have a couple of uses for my asparagus steamer.

I also use it to steam cardoons, those big stems just do not fit well in anything else.

I cut the base off of celery and store it in water (which I change daily) in the fridge in the steamer. Takes up less room this way than any other method of storage.

However the thing for which I use it most is to cool stocks rapidly.

I fill it with water to within an inch of the top, put it in the freezer while the stock is cooking, then when it is done I turn off the heat and lower the asparagus steamer with its solid block of ice into the pot.

I have hooks above my cooktop and have a rope with a loop on each end which holds the steamer above the level of the stock.

I also wrap the pot with two of the large hot/cold packs which are made to fit on the back, (mine have only been used in the kitchen), which also have been in the freezer. I wrap towels around them and pin them together with giant safety pins. (I talked one of the counter guys at In N Out Burger into selling me a couple.)

This combination of inner and outer cold application cools the stock down rapidly, thus lessening the chance of nasty critters invading the stock when it is in the susceptible temperature range, 40 to 140 degrees.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Why do you need an asparagus steamer when roasting is the best method for preparing asparagus? :blink:

Close, but no, sorry.

Asparagus must be pan-braised with butter.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

The concensus seems to be - Don't Buy It.

I like andiesenji's idea for cooling stock but my daughter doesn't make stock!

I love roasted asparagus but I also love it grilled and steamed and so does she.

The only underhanded reason I might accept to support the purchase is to have a tall, narrow pot in which to cook Jacque Pepin/Danny Kaye's chicken! Then the pot would live at my house.

Thanks for all your input.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

They are great, especially for large volumes. Not sure about the asparagus you are going to cook, but it is a better way of accurately cooking different types as well.

Also, I haven't tried the oven method, but in general I am trying to avoid using the oven for things like this durig a dinner party etc, due to space/time restrictions. Cooking asparagus is one of those things that is easy to get wrong.

Close, but no, sorry.

Asparagus must be pan-braised with butter.

OK, but you don't need an asparagus steamer for that either.

Um, when you say pan braised, how much butter are we talking about? Like a slow saute, or like the asparagus is completely covered by the butter a la butter poached lobster?

I have a couple of uses for my asparagus steamer.

I also use it to steam cardoons, those big stems just do not fit well in anything else.

I cut the base off of celery and store it in water (which I change daily) in the fridge in the steamer. Takes up less room this way than any other method of storage.

However the thing for which I use it most is to cool stocks rapidly.

I fill it with water to within an inch of the top, put it in the freezer while the stock is cooking, then when it is done I turn off the heat and lower the asparagus steamer with its solid block of ice into the pot.

I have hooks above my cooktop and have a rope with a loop on each end which holds the steamer above the level of the stock.

I also wrap the pot with two of the large hot/cold packs which are made to fit on the back, (mine have only been used in the kitchen), which also have been in the freezer. I wrap towels around them and pin them together with giant safety pins. (I talked one of the counter guys at In N Out Burger into selling me a couple.)

This combination of inner and outer cold application cools the stock down rapidly, thus lessening the chance of nasty critters invading the stock when it is in the susceptible temperature range, 40 to 140 degrees.

andiesenji, every time I read one of your posts I am astounded and amazed!!

Will you adopt me?

sparrowgrass

Um, when you say pan braised, how much butter are we talking about? Like a slow saute, or like the asparagus is completely covered by the butter a la butter poached lobster?

I picked up the term "pan-braised" from some cookbook or other. Had I invented the process, I would have called it a slow saute.

BTW: I like asparagus roasted, too. And blanched. I was just being contrary, although the pan-braise is my current method of choice.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

I also steam broccoli or cauliflower florets in mine. I just like the handle to lift out the basket. Mine was a gift. I don't suspect I'd have bought one for myself, but it's hardly useless.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol