• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blue marlin

Simon Patrice

Hi!

I just bought some blue marlin and I'm wondering if it's safe to cook it the tuna way (almost raw, just seared) or if it needs to be close to well done.

Thanks for your help!

I don't know whether it's safe - but when I used to eat it (we're talking > 20 years ago) - it was usually cooked like swordfish (cooked white until it flakes) or smoked. That said - where the heck did you buy it? It's an increasingly endangered species and I don't know any responsible fishing people who don't catch and release these days. Robyn

Check out this thread. There is also a discussion in there about the conservation issues. It really isn't that good to eat.

Like Robyn... I am really curious about where you bought it. I don't know that I have ever seen it in a commercial US market. The only time I have had it was at fishing tournaments at least 20 years ago before catch and release was derigeure. Then, at tournaments the only way they could make it palatable was brining and smoking.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Try this site on for size. I will also look for the Monterrey Marine Aquarium site that also tracks such things. I think IGFA also tracks this stuff for game fish.

I have a friend that runs a charter boat out of Kona in Hawaii. He often works with the local research organizations. The long liners are a real problem. He always releases unless the fish is injured.

Bottom line... Most of these game fish aren't that good to eat (with an exception for wahoo) and should be released.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Simon, we buy it already smoked. There's a local fish market with a guy that smokes it on the premises. It's really good, but other than that, haven't eaten it.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Hi!

I just bought some blue marlin and I'm wondering if it's safe to cook it the tuna way (almost raw, just seared) or if it needs to be close to well done.

Thanks for your help!

Commonly called kurokajiki (黒皮 - "black" kajiki) or, occasionally, aburakajiki (脂皮 - fatty kajiki) in Japanese, blue marlin is popular as sashimi, as are many of the kajiki fish (swordfish, white marlin, sailfish, etc.)

However, in addition to whatever concerns may be appropriate about overfishing and species endangerment, there are several other concerns. First, in many parts of the world there have been health warnings about mercury levels in various billfish, including the blue marlin. Second, the question of whether you can lightly sear the fish (tataki technique) is highly dependent on the quality and freshness of the individual piece of fish you bought.

In any case, hope you enjoyed it.

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

Simon, we buy it already smoked.  There's a local fish market with a guy that smokes it on the premises.  It's really good, but other than that, haven't eaten it.

I wouldn't buy it - and I wouldn't support an establishment that sells it. The Atlantic blue marlin is endangered - and people who don't catch and release aren't worth the time of day IMO (I didn't even realize there are still people around who don't catch and release). FWIW - even my most politically conservative friends who are ardent fishermen wouldn't think of bringing home a blue Marlin. It's just not done! Of course - there are always a few "good old boys" around who don't think the rules of nature and sustainable fishing apply to them. Robyn

Simon, we buy it already smoked.  There's a local fish market with a guy that smokes it on the premises.  It's really good, but other than that, haven't eaten it.

I wouldn't buy it - and I wouldn't support an establishment that sells it. The Atlantic blue marlin is endangered - and people who don't catch and release aren't worth the time of day IMO (I didn't even realize there are still people around who don't catch and release). FWIW - even my most politically conservative friends who are ardent fishermen wouldn't think of bringing home a blue Marlin. It's just not done! Of course - there are always a few "good old boys" around who don't think the rules of nature and sustainable fishing apply to them. Robyn

What if it was pacific blue marlin?

Bottom line... Most of these game fish aren't that good to eat (with an exception for wahoo) and should be released.

Tell me, tell me, what do you do to a wahoo that makes it worth feeding to people? I find it to be a challenging fish in the kitchen.

Edited by ned (log)

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Tell me, tell me, what do you do to a wahoo that makes it worth feeding to people? I find it to be a challenging fish in the kitchen.

You can it.

Seriously. In my opinion, Wahoo is far better canned than fresh. The flavor deepens and sort of mellows so that you have a very fine meaty flavor rather than a sort of greasy/gamey taste. The other thing that canning does is to develop the texture of the flesh so that it is firmer and less mushy. Albacore is somewhat similar in being quite a bit better canned than fresh.

So, get out your pressure cooker!

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

What if it was pacific blue marlin?

Don't know what I'd recommend for others. I've lived on the east coast of the US all my life - and I'm really not that familiar with Pacific Ocean fish (I don't even know off the top of my head whether the Atlantic and Pacific blue marlin are the same - or different).

On my part - I wouldn't eat it simply because I doubt it would be anywhere near the best thing on a restaurant menu (and if it was the best thing - I think I'd try a different restaurant). Robyn

One thing you can do with mackerels like wahoo and kingfish is poach pieces with some aromatics. Chill - flake - and make fish salad (like you might make a tuna salad). It's pretty good. Robyn

Well... I have never had it canned so I can't compare. I have had it fresh... As in just caught... As in I caught it... :biggrin: And, I have had it at a restaurant in Cabo San Lucas. At the restaurant it was grilled, well, griddled actually. The one I cooked at home was cut into steaks and broiled with just butter s&p, then spritzed with lemon. It had great texture and was very mild.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"