• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Preserving perilla leaves

trillium

We have a perilla/shiso plant that is growing out of control. I'd like to make some of those preserved leaves like I buy at the Korean grocery store in tins. I think there is salt, sesame and bean paste, but I'm not sure of the name of the stuff so I can't look up any recipes to get an idea of proportions. I know you can make kimchee out it, but I think this is something different. I'm hoping someone around here has actually made the preserved leaves, or if not, can point me to a good reference.

thanks,

trillium

shiso/uses

scroll down a bit more than half way on the next page

umeboshi

and this is a recipe for umeboshi but you need to read carefully

umeboshi recipe

You can pickle the leaves in salt brine, much as you would grape leaves, then dry them in the oven and crumble them for use.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thanks for the links. I know about the Japanese uses of these leaves, but I'm trying to figure out how to make this certain Korean type of preserved perilla leaves. I'm almost sure there is bean paste, sesame, sugar and salt, but I'm not sure of the ratios or even the name of the stuff.

regards,

trillium

theres jrufusjs posting on ggaetnip... maybe this will help?

looking through the recipes, i dont exactly see the stuff my mom made, but it is a lot like the "Kkaetip saengjeoli" he lists.

i see in your request, you list 'bean paste'. that is also something new to me (bean paste with ggaetnip) and i was curious... found a recipe called ggaetnip duenjang jang-a-jji (where duenjang is something like miso)... maybe this is it?

(in the link above, look under "best 2"):

ggaetnip duenjang jang-a-jji

100 ggaetnip leaves

1/2 cup duenjang

1 tablespoon of rice wine

2 tablespoons white onion juice

1 teaspoon crushed garlic

(translated roughly):

rinse under flowing water, dry well, then lay 5 leaves together (in the same direction) and tie the stems together with string.

mix the duenjang, rice wine, onion juice and crushed garlic together in a small bowl. then lay all the packets of ggaetnip leaves, one on top of another, then completely cover the top of the leaves with the duenjang mixture, then keep it in a cool and dark place for a month.

when the duenjang taste has permeated, scrape off the duenjang mixture and serve. you can also serve these slightly steamed.

as an aside, is shiso different from ggaetnip? i think the shiso taste is a bit more sharp, if that makes sense...

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

Trillium,

I will call my hair stylist. Chong is from Korea and has brought me many things from home when she visits twice a year. Her mother and sisters are all great cooks and make all kinds of things that are traditional but are no longer made by most people in their homes.

If there is a recipe available her mom will probably know it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

theres jrufusjs posting on ggaetnip... maybe this will help?

looking through the recipes, i dont exactly see the stuff my mom made, but it is a lot like the "Kkaetip saengjeoli" he lists.

i see in your request, you list 'bean paste'. that is also something new to me (bean paste with ggaetnip) and i was curious... found a recipe called ggaetnip duenjang jang-a-jji (where duenjang is something like miso)... maybe this is it?

(in the link above, look under "best 2"):

ggaetnip duenjang jang-a-jji

100 ggaetnip leaves

1/2 cup duenjang

1 tablespoon of rice wine

2 tablespoons white onion juice

1 teaspoon crushed garlic

(translated roughly):

rinse under flowing water, dry well, then lay 5 leaves together (in the same direction) and tie the stems together with string.

mix the duenjang, rice wine, onion juice and crushed garlic together in a small bowl. then lay all the packets of ggaetnip leaves, one on top of another, then completely cover the top of the leaves with the duenjang mixture, then keep it in a cool and dark place for a month.

when the duenjang taste has permeated, scrape off the duenjang mixture and serve. you can also serve these slightly steamed.

as an aside, is shiso different from ggaetnip? i think the shiso taste is a bit more sharp, if that makes sense...

Thanks for the pointer to that thread, there are lots of good looking recipes! I didn't think to search under sesame leaves. I'm not positive that there needs to be bean paste in it, but a Korean friend of my partner's (who doesn't cook) seemed to think there was, which is what put the idea in my head.

regards,

trillium

• 5 months later...
We have a perilla/shiso plant that is growing out of control.  I'd like to make some of those preserved leaves like I buy at the Korean grocery store in tins.  I think there is salt, sesame and bean paste, but I'm not sure of the name of the stuff so I can't look up any recipes to get an idea of proportions.  I know you can make kimchee out it, but I think this is something different.  I'm hoping someone around here has actually made the preserved leaves, or if not, can point me to a good reference.

thanks,

trillium

Another old thread. But I don't think the question was answered. The duenjang version is one version, but other versions are based on yangnim ganjang (seasoned soy sauce).

Soy sauce, sesame, garlic, plenty of Korean red pepper flakes, sesame oil, sugar, chopped scallions. A touch of three crab brand fish sauce would also add great flavor.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

• 8 months later...

I just wanted to bring this old thread up to say that we have made the duenjan version and the yangnim ganjang versions this year (it only took a year!). The duenjan isn't ready, but we ate the yangnim ganjang version last night. I'm not sure what banchan are supposed to go with what dishes, but we made a squid in spicy sauce (ojang bokkum?) dish and spinach with soya and sesame oil. It was delicious.

thanks again for all the help.

trillium