• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chen Kenichi coming to Philly

Laksa

Iron Fans Online has an article about Chen Kenichi's visit to Philly.

On Sunday, September 19th, Chef Chen will be joining Chef Susanna Foo at her award winning 4 Star restaurant, Susanna Foo (www.susannafoo.com ) located at 1512 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102. Together with Chef Foo and her staff, Chef Chen will prepare a 5 course dinner featuring his famous Szechwan cooking, fusing ingredients unique to his dishes with those of the local area for a truly outstanding gourmet experience.

The article goes on to say that the meal will be in the vicinity of $100. Anyone from Philly thinking of going? I'm in NY but I'm seriously considering making the trip.

Also, does anyone here have any more information or update on this?

Funny that he isn't going to Morimoto.

Here's what "Iron Chef: The Official Book" has to say about Chen (p. 207):

"Though Chen stayed with the Iron Chef for the whole 6 years, he was not blessed with many big victories. He never won a single Tag Match, and he often lost against Revengers and other Iron Chefs. At 22 losses, he had the most defeats of any Iron Chef.

"But his battles were rich in content. Many viewers were touched when seeing him battle. He is the only chef to have taken part in eight Special Battles. With six contests, he has the highest number of battles against other Iron Chefs...Most important is his 9-month-long winning streak of 14 battles. Neither Michiba nor Sakai was able to accomplish such a feat...

"Chen's biggest accomplishment, however, is his record of being on the show longest and taking part in the highest number of battles. His physical and mental strength is to be revered. He is probably the most memorable of all the Iron Chefs."

Maria Gallagher

"Though Chen stayed with the Iron Chef for the whole 6 years, he was not blessed with many big victories. He never won a single Tag Match, and he often lost against Revengers and other Iron Chefs. At 22 losses, he had the most defeats of any Iron Chef.

That's interesting. Does he have more defeats because he fought in more battles, or does he also have a higher loss ratio? (or a lower victory ratio).

I always had the impression from watching the show that he had a very good battle record.

Edit:

I should've checked ironfans before I posted my question. Chen-san has the fourth highest win ratio of all the iron chefs, at 73%. Yutaka Ishinabe won 88%, the highest, but he only had 8 battles. Michiba-san has 84% from 38 battles, Sakai-san 81% from 86, Nakamura-san 67% from 37, Morimoto-san 67% from 24, and Kobe-san 65% from 23.

Edited by wongste (log)

Funny that he isn't going to Morimoto

Not really. Morimoto specializes in Japanese cuisine, not Chinese.

Besides, he probably doesn't want to "compete" with another Iron Chef, just be Extra Special Guest Chef for the night. :wink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Logistically speaking, a Chinese restaurant is more likely to have the equipment and ingredients he needs, woks, big Chinese cleavers, etc.

It would be really cool to have in Philly a King of Iron Chefs battle between Chen-san and Morimoto-san though. What wouldn't I give to be on that tasting panel...

Logistically speaking, a Chinese restaurant is more likely to have the equipment and ingredients he needs, woks, big Chinese cleavers, etc.

It would be really cool to have in Philly a King of Iron Chefs battle between Chen-san and Morimoto-san though. What wouldn't I give to be on that tasting panel...

Duh - yeah. :blink: He's a chef that specializes in Chinese (even more specifically, Szechuan) cuisine. Chen Kinichi guest cheffing at a Japanese, French, Italian, Serbo-Croatian, Hungarian, Cuban, Lativan, Polish or German restaurant, Argentinian Rodizio House, Belgian Frites stand or whatfreakingever doesn't really make sense, does it? Sort of what I was implying, no?

Am I being too oblique? :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Duh - yeah. :blink: He's a chef that specializes in Chinese (even more specifically, Szechuan) cuisine. Chen Kinichi guest cheffing at a Japanese, French, Italian, Serbo-Croatian, Hungarian, Cuban, Lativan, Polish or German restaurant, Argentinian Rodizio House, Belgian Frites stand or whatfreakingever doesn't really make sense, does it? Sort of what I was implying, no?

Am I being too oblique? :biggrin:

Well, I wasn't trying to contradict you. I was just adding something that I thought was worth mentioning to your reply to what spikemom said. Perhaps I'm dense, but I can't see if you implied anything by what you wrote. If you find what I wrote too obvious, please feel free to ignore it. There's no need to launch a sarcastic diatribe, is there?

I didn't intend to suggest that Morimoto was particularly suited to Chen's style of cooking. No question that Susanna Foo is the proper stage for him.

I just thought these two guys with a high-profile shared history might enjoy reminiscing about battles past, like a couple of war veterans. Maybe have some laughs at Sakai's expense. Maybe dish about Chairman Kaga's wardrobe.

Maria Gallagher

Maybe dish about Chairman Kaga's wardrobe.

The Liberace of the culinary world. :laugh:

My apologies to both spikemom and wongste. I guess my darker and sarcastic sense of humor didn't translate well this time. It just seemed rather obvious (to me at least), that Susanna Foo was the more approriate venue for a Szechuan chef. That being said, it went without saying that a restaurant would have the accoutrements apropos of their own cuisine. Chinese restaurant probably wouldn't have a pasta machine, an Italian restaurant wouldn't have a wok. Duh, yes? Sorry if I offended anyone.

I never got the vibe that Chef Kenichi and Morimotosan were buds, if you know what I mean. In fact, I don't even know that they were ever on the show in the same time frame, were they? I suppose I don't take notes as to who's on with whom, but I don't specifically remember any interactions with the two of them.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!