• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steve, Thanks for taking the time to be here.

Some cheeses need to be at room temperature for optimal service. How long can you keep them out before they become too ripe or develop other problems?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

In this weather it takes 15-20 minutes to get cheese to room temp, which is as important as making sure wines -- reds, pinks and whites -- are NOT. My red wine my must be 65F; my pinks and whites cooler, or I'm going to raise hell. My beer better be 34F. I want my liquor on the rocks.

In cooler months, expect 30 minutes to pass before you whack at cheeses. According to a cheese's texture it's going to bleed more or less butterfat after an hour at room temp. No good. Don't expect either a hard or soft cheese you've left out for three hours to be the same cheese. Only serve as much cheese as you can wipe out at that sitting. Cut your portions, re-wrap the hosts in fresh paper, and put them back in the refrgrtr.