• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
Lan4Dawg

Lime Juice & Lime Cordials

OK, so now I am nursing a Gimlet using the recipe in Hess's book (2.25 gin, .75 Rose's), of course with the Rose's substituted with homemade. He actually has you stir it, rather than shake it, so I went with that. I think the lime cordial is sorta like a pre-emulsified lime juice, so it doesn't seem to need shaking (though I'll try it on my next one in the interest of science).

In a word: excellent. Really marvelous flavors. I think it would go better with Tanqueray, rather than the Beefeater I used, but still, a really great Gimlet. I'll try it with your recipe next (including the fresh lime juice and the "Shake it like it's someone you hate," too :smile:.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Thanks Chris! Glad it worked out for you. You used the Kaffir lime leaves too, right? I think in addition to the rosewater, that is the key ingredient in "my" version of the lime cordial. Gives it a depth of flavor the Rose's can't match.

Try it with some Hendrick's. The rosewater in the the cordial really focuses that aspect of the gin. Quite delicious and probably my favorite thing to do with it. I also use it as an ingredient in other cocktails and for non-alcoholic limeade for teetotaling guests.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Resurrecting this because I just came up with a new recipe that I'd like to put to the group for thoughts. Without going into every step of what got me to the end product -- there were too many versions to count -- I've come up with a v1.0 with which I am happy. The goal was to match the major notes of Rose's -- pucker, sour, and a funky finish -- while also capturing the color and clarity. Admittedly, my version isn't nearly as dry as I would like, and I have noticed that it doesn't keep without losing a noticeable amount of steam after a short while. The amounts given are just per the size I made; I've not yet tried it in bulk.

"Preserved" Lime Syrup

3 oz Lime zest-infused Vodka

2 oz Agave Nectar

2 oz Cane Sugar Syrup

0.25 tsp Citric Acid

Steps:

1) The night before, zest 3-4 limes (I used whatever Trader Joe's sells) and cover zest with vodka (I used regular Stoli).

2) Prepare a 1:1 cane sugar syrup

3) On the second day, stir together ingredients to mix.

For a Gimlet, I use 2 parts gin and 1 part of the lime syrup.

I went with the agave to give it the funky undertone, but too much agave got way too sweet. So, I replaced half of it with a basic brown simple syrup. All of my early batches had fresh lime juice as well, but it wasn't until I cut it out that the recipe got anywhere close to Rose's.

I'm curious to hear opinions as well as thoughts on how to reduce the sweetness further and prolong its life.

David

Sign in to follow this