• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

clarification

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

Hi guys,

as I am nit a professional baker, and nit even that experienced one, I only have one cake pan for now, and it's a 6x4" (15x10cm) round cake pan without removable bottom. 

Could I still make this cake (from TCB) in this pan, or will it not rise enough since there is no tube in the middle?

I'd like to make it as a birthday cake, so I actually would prefer it to be without a hole in the middle :) But I have no idea how important it is/ if it makes a big difference if I just use a regular cake pan for this cake?

Any help or suggestions so very much appreciated, thank you!

You can bake a chiffon cake in a regular cake pan but it should be an uncoated pan, usually aluminum.  If your pan has any sort of non-stick coating inside, forget it.  The chiffon cake batter needs to be able to stick to the sides and climb up as it rises so don't grease the sides either.  Likewise, if your pan has a dark coating on the outside, that's not a good idea either as it can make the edges too dark. 

Having a removable bottom helps getting the cake out of the pan but you can line the bottom with parchment paper and run a knife around the edges to help them release. Chiffon cakes are quite delicate but the small size of your pan may be a plus there.

I'd guess that you could get two 6" layers out of a recipe made for a 10-inch tube pan.  So bake one with half the batter, cool, remove the cake, wash out the pan and bake the second one.   In either case, make sure to leave enough room for the cake to rise.

A 10-inch tube pan is quite versatile as you can use it for angel food cakes, chiffon cakes or bundt cakes so you might check around to see if you can find one. 

56 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Hi guys,

as I am nit a professional baker, and nit even that experienced one, I only have one cake pan for now, and it's a 6x4" (15x10cm) round cake pan without removable bottom. 

Could I still make this cake (from TCB) in this pan, or will it not rise enough since there is no tube in the middle?

I'd like to make it as a birthday cake, so I actually would prefer it to be without a hole in the middle :) But I have no idea how important it is/ if it makes a big difference if I just use a regular cake pan for this cake?

Any help or suggestions so very much appreciated, thank you!

You can bake a chiffon cake in a regular cake pan but it should be an uncoated pan, usually aluminum.  If your pan has any sort of non-stick coating inside, forget it.  The chiffon cake batter needs to be able to stick to the sides and climb up as it rises so don't grease the sides either.  Likewise, if your pan has a dark coating on the outside, that's not a good idea either as it can make the edges too dark. 

Having a removable bottom helps getting the cake out of the pan but you can line the bottom with parchment paper and run a knife around the edges to help them release. Chiffon cakes are quite delicate but the small size of your pan may be a plus there.

I'd guess that you could get two 6" layers out of a recipe made for a 10-inch tube pan.  So bake one with half the batter, wash out the pan and bake the second one.   In either case, make sure to leave enough room for the cake to rise.

A 10-inch tube pan is quite versatile as you can use it for angel food cakes, chiffon cakes or bundt cakes so you might check around to see if you can find one.