• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

99 Thomas over three years

Florida Jim

11-25-01

1999 Thomas, Pinot Noir:

translucent garnet, brilliant/

the nose is dominated by mushroom scents that are very full and generous, hints of strawberry and raspberry intermingle with wet stones and growing herbs/

medium body, a crystalline structure that is dominant on the palate now but upon it hangs ripe fruit flavors, mostly in the red fruit spectrum and some earthy flavors, angular acidity, very fine tannins, the balance is hard to assess since this is so young but I have no complaints/

very long, drying finish.

Opened many years before its time. Even so, this wine is what great domestic pinot aspires to be - and usually falls short. Of the earth; of its moment; and constructed with care and a sense that character is crucial. At about $35, as good a pinot as you can by for twice the price.

3-4-02

1999 Thomas, Pinot Noir:

Relatively pale ruby, clear but not brilliant/

The nose is almost entirely about forest floor, underbrush and earth with a little red fruit and spice; it is layered and changes markedly with simply swirling it in the glass/

Medium bodied, silky texture, good intensity but this wine is not about power – it is about depth, complexity, elegance, balance and very alluring ripe fruit/

Long, almost haunting finish.

I have often fallen into the trap of trying to equate good Oregon pinots to good appellations in Burgundy. Sometimes, it works. It won’t here. This wine could only be made exactly where it is made. It is so utterly sublime that we saved our last glass to enjoy after dinner when we could be absorbed only in that moment.

Wonderful wine.

7-03-04

1999 Thomas, Pinot Noir:

Transparent, slight sediment/

Closed nose of paraffin and mushroom; some red fruit and mineral tones as it opens with airing/

Light body, very pure strawberry and mushroom flavors with a graceful and lacy texture, some complexity, this still seems a bit tight but the focus is clear and the balance is excellent/

Very long, fruit filled finish.

Based on the nose and palate, the length of the finish was unexpected. It gives the impression of great purity and utter weightlessness. Beguiling and the essence of finesse.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Ahhhh, the gold old days when I could get Thomas retail in Minneapolis. I still don't do direct shipment. I know I should. Perhpas I'm just lazy.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Ahhhh, the gold old days when I could get Thomas retail in Minneapolis. I still don't do direct shipment. I know I should. Perhpas I'm just lazy.

If what I'm hearing is even remotely true, 2002 is a good vintage to get back to direct shipping.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com