• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going to Philly in a few weeks

steffie

We travel to Philly about five times a year and I truly don't remember ever having a bad meal.

We're going in a few weeks to take advantage of the two-for-one overnight package and here are the two restaurants on our dinner itinerary:

La Grolla

Vetris

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you,

Steffie

La Grolla.  Haven't been there for years.  Fits in what I call my V-8 category of restaurants.  Good restaurants that for one reason or another have faded to the depths of my subconscious.  I never think of them until I drive past one after a mediocre dinner elsewhere.  "Wow," I say to myself, "We should have eaten there."  

La Grolla is a very good, smallish, family run Italian restaurant that specializes in game - at least that's what it was five years ago.  I've got to get back and see how they're doing.  I remember once toughing it through a 24 course venison dinner (an annual event) that was as incredible as it was overwhelming.

Vetri - Considered by some to be the best restaurant in Philadelphia; considered by many to be at least one of the best.  They're housed in the original Le-Bec Fin location, very small and intimiate, with an excellent chef.  Also Italian.

While you're here - you've got to head to Carman's Country Kitchen at 11th and Wharton for Saturday or Sunday Brunch.  Call early, the day you're going there, for reservations - a must on weekends.

You've been to Philadelphia a few or a number of times before, so you probably know about Reading Terminal Market at 12th and Arch/Ludlow and the Italian Market which starts at 9th and Washington and runs up 9th to Christian or so.  If you haven't been there, either is worth a trip and there are great lunch opportunities at both.

Enjoy.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Vetri is upscale, fine dining Italian. One of the very best in Philly.  Other nice places are Tangerine, Fork and The Blue Angel.  If your a fan of the Iron Chef, check out Morimoto, the IC's new spot on Chestnut.

My wife and I enjoy wine with dinner and often BYO in Philly. Some excellent BYO with 0 corkage include Audrey Clair, Django, Chloe and Pif.

Enjoy wherever you go and be sure to tell us about your dining experience.

Tom

Tom D

We've been to Fork--my husband enjoyed it, but I felt rather cramped--I also felt cramped at Overtures, plus the food was underwhelming. I loved the pepper ice cream though--for novelty's sake.

I'm one of those persons who needs elbow room. We dined at Ralphs--once again, I felt like I was eating on a plane or something--space wise--not that I'm an overly big person or a heathen--it might just be that I'm part Italian and like to gesticulate a bit without hitting a waiter in the face :-).

We managed to solidify our reservations at La Grolla for Feb. 1, but Vetri, being a 10-table restaurant, is booked two months in advance. :-( Oh heck, I probably would have felt cramped there too.

Soo--we're stuck looking for something on February 2 since we're doing the Philly sleepover deal.

What does everyone think about Rococco? I've been in the vicinity a few times and always admired the decor, but I realize, decor isn't everything.

• 2 weeks later...

Steffi--As has been touted by others, Tangerine is excellent, and in my opinion is the best of the Stephen Starr restaurants.  As has come to be expected from Stephen Starr, the atmosphere is very unique and the Moroccan/Mediterranean plates are outstanding.  For South Phila Italian, I would recommend two places which are completely different dining experiences but which are both excellent:  Tre Scalini and the Saloon.  Tre Scalini is a small BYO and is my personal favorite.  It is often overlooked, but you would be hardpressed to find a better, authentic Italian meal in the city (Vetri included).  Saloon is a pricier Italian steakhouse, with great seafood, steaks and pasta.  It has been a mainstay of the Philadelphia scene for some time, and justifiably so.   Previous opinions on Vetri are accurate.  As for Rococco, I've had a few very solid meals there, but it is never on my list of places to go back to again.  (I guess that says something).  I don't think you will be disappointed but I believe you can do much better.  I recently had a delicious meal at Pif (another BYO), but if you are concerned about being cramped, you will not enjoy Pif's atmosphere.  If you are unable to get in to any places of first choice, you should definitely check out either one of the Dmitri's (the one at 23d and Pine is larger), since you won't need a reservation.  Fresh fish is this restaurant's hallmark, and the grilled octopus and grilled squid cannot be beat.  Finally, if you like authentic Mexican, you will love Tequillas on 16 and Locust (in the old Magnolia Cafe building).  Their mole sauce is outstanding, the specials are always interesting, and the margaritas are perfect.  Hope this helps and enjoy your visit to Philadelphia.