• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dcarch

dcarch

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I never smash garlic with a knife.  The thought makes me cringe.  If I want smashed garlic I use a pestle.

Smashing the garlic with the knife is to make it easier to peel the skin off, not to make garlic paste. Although there is a nice technique to make paste with a knife.

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I am right handed and hold the knife in my right hand when I smash garlic. Why change it to the left hand?

And if my knife gets too "garlicky", I wash it.

As I said, it's a very insignificant tip. I have many other more complicated tips on youtube. Here is one:

For those who use the left hand to hold the knife and the right hand to smash, it make it easier to use the right hand to pick out the skin. Also there is always some small pieces of garlic which will stick to that side of the knife face as you are smashing.

dcarch

dcarch

dcarch

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I never smash garlic with a knife.  The thought makes me cringe.  If I want smashed garlic I use a pestle.

Smashing the garlic with the knife is to make it easier to peel the skin off, not to make garlic paste. Although there is a nice technique to make paste with a knife.

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I am right handed and hold the knife in my right hand when I smash garlic. Why change it to the left hand?

And if my knife gets too "garlicky", I wash it.

As I said, it's a very insignificant tip.

For those who use the left hand to hold the knife and the right hand to smash, it make it easier to use the right hand to pick out the skin. Also there is always some small pieces of garlic which will stick to that side of the knife face.

dcarch