• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morimoto (Philadelphia)

robert brown

I wish you had described your experience at Morimoto more in depth - descriptions of the dishes, preparation, relationship to other dining experiences, wait staff service and knowledge, wine pairings if any. In other words, could you recreate the experience in such a way that I can vicariously dine with you.

I'm sorry that you felt that the description of the experience at Morimoto was underdeveloped. I will try to go back and add additional details! I was worried as I was writing it that it was getting long in the tooth, but since I know there is interest, I'll flesh it out some!

Once that's done, I'll post in this topic to let everyone know.

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

Additional observations regarding Morimoto's:

-- Morimoto's was in attendance, including, for a meaningful portion of our meal, near/at the sushi bar. Interestingly, he did not stake out the part of the sushi bar from which non-bar diners could clearly see him, but, for much of the time, relegated himself to the "back" portion of the bar along the longer side of the structure. He had glasses on, and had a ponytail. Unlike certain of the chefs below him, his name was not embossed on his chef's white jacket. I requested a tour of the kitchen, but was gently refused on the grounds that things were busy on Saturday. We received menus probably pre-signed by Morimoto.

-- I inquired whether, for omakases at less expensive levels, there was a difference in the number of courses. Our dining room team member answered in the negative, noting that generally it was a question of the ingredients included (e.g., otoro; oysters instead of clams, etc.)

-- Some of the larger sake containers looked fairly nice. They appeared to have been made from, or made to resemble, longish bamboo stalks.

-- Some of the larger sake containers looked fairly nice. They appeared to have been made from, or made to resemble, longish bamboo stalks.

Cabby,

The large bamboo stalks (I think they're frozen) were and probably still are used at Nobu as sake containers. I have been served sake in them many times and find that they are excellent vessels and keep the sake cold quite well.

• 3 months later...

Mrs. P and I had dinner at Morimoto on Sunday night. Well the long and the short of it is, the room is beautiful. The tables for two are on small platforms against the walls on either side of the room which gives them a great view of the room. And the center tables are rows of booths that seat four and six people respectively and the configuration alternates with each row. The booths are bordered by plexiglass walls that have flourescent lighting at their bottoms which alternate between red, blue, purple and green. And the ceiling sort of rolls like waves in the ocean and is made of what looked like sized irregularly and polished bamboo. We thought is was quite attractive and worthy of being in a place like South Beach or L.A. Probably the best new restaurant design I have seen in quite some time.

The short of it is that the food is Nobu-like but we didn't think it was firing with as many cylinders. Like they had toned the spicing down. I'm not sure if this is his cooking style, something they did for the local clientele, or just an inadequacy in the restaurant. We started with the Toro Tartar (sort of bland,) and then had the Kobe Beef Tartar (better but not salty enough.) We continued on with warm appetizers of Spicy King Crab Legs. This dish was an improvement over the Nobu version as they serve you a large king crab leg along with a rather large knuckle with the spicy sauce on top. A substantial dish to eat with lots of meat to pick at. Then we had the Warm Tofu made tableside. Lots of oohs and ahs here as they show up with a casserole dish that is filled with soy milk. They spill a glass of sea water into the dish and cover it (you're not allowed to peak.) Seven minutes later they return and remove the top of the dish and it has set into tofu. They slice it intp serving size squares and they serve it with two sauces. Soy and wasabi (a little bland don't you think?) and a crab sauce which reminded me of Cantonese Hot and Sour Soup. While it was pleasant tasting, it could have had both more flavor and more kick to it but the concept was cool. For the mains we had to try the house Black Cod Miso which was an acceptable version but by no means the best version we ever had and the Eight Spice Lobster which was akin to getting blackened lobster. It was served with a citrus mayonaisse and in my estimation it needed it to tone the spicing down and to add a sweetish element. I finished things off with a Toro and Scallion roll which was good but unremarkable.

I liked My meal at Morimoto and I would have no hesitation in going back if I happened to be in Philly. But there is no reason to rush there as you can get almost the same meal at Nobu but prepared at a higher level of intensity in my opinion. On a sidenote, when I was at Jewel Bakko a few weeks ago, they told me that Morimoto was in for dinner the night before and that he is in NYC scouting locations for a restaurant.

Mrs. P and I had dinner at Morimoto on Sunday night. Well the long and the short of it is, the room is beautiful. The tables for two are on small platforms against the walls on either side of the room which gives them a great view of the room. And the center tables are rows of booths that seat four and six people respectively and the configuration alternates with each row. The booths are bordered by plexiglass walls that have flourescent lighting at their bottoms which alternate between red, blue, purple and green. And the ceiling sort of rolls like waves in the ocean and is made of what looked like sized irregularly and polished bamboo. We thought is was quite attractive and worthy of being in a place like South Beach or L.A. Probably the best new restaurant design I have seen in quite some time.

The short of it is that the food is Nobu-like but we didn't think it was firing with as many cylinders. Like they had toned the spicing down. I'm not sure if this is his cooking style, something they did for the local clientele, or just an inadequacy in the restaurant. We started with the Toro Tartar (sort of bland,) and then had the Kobe Beef Tartar (better but not salty enough.) We continued on with warm appetizers of Spicy King Crab Legs. This dish was an improvement over the Nobu version as they serve you a large king crab leg along with a rather large knuckle with the spicy sauce on top.  A substantial dish to eat with lots of meat to pick at. Then we had the Warm Tofu made tableside. Lots of oohs and ahs here as they show up with a casserole dish that is filled with soy milk. They spill a glass of sea water into the dish and cover it (you're not allowed to peak.) Seven minutes later they return and remove the top of the dish and it has set into tofu. They slice it intp serving size squares and they serve it with two sauces. Soy and wasabi (a little bland don't you think?) and a crab sauce which reminded me of Cantonese Hot and Sour Soup. While it was pleasant tasting, it could have had both more flavor and more kick to it but the concept was cool. For the mains we had to try the house Black Cod Miso which was an acceptable version but by no means the best version we ever had and the Eight Spice Lobster which was akin to getting blackened lobster. It was served with a citrus mayonaisse and in my estimation it needed it to tone the spicing down and to add a sweetish element. I finished things off with a Toro and Scallion roll which was good but unremarkable.

I liked My meal at Morimoto and I would have no hesitation in going back if I happened to be in Philly. But there is no reason to rush there as you can get almost the same meal at Nobu but prepared at a higher level of intensity in my opinion. On a sidenote, when I was at Jewel Bakko a few weeks ago, they told me that Morimoto was in for dinner the night before and that he is in NYC scouting locations for a restaurant.

to The "P"

Were you seated at a table or at the Sushi Bar ? We sat at the bar and our server inquired as to our spice tolerances and food allergies for the tasting menu. I enjoyed a more "aggressive" meal than my girlfriend.

No we were seated at a twospot along the left wall (facing in) at almost the halfway mark. Were you there last Sunday night?

Nope, my last trip was months ago - But you're one person I'd love to share a meal with next time I'm in the city.

I liked My meal at Morimoto and I would have no hesitation in going back if I happened to be in Philly. But there is no reason to rush there as you can get almost the same meal at Nobu but prepared at a higher level of intensity in my opinion.

WE had the opposite experience. On our first visit, Nobu was WAY to full of itself...its one thing to be tourists, its another to be treated as such. While everything was very good, there were no ground breaking dishes...a rather traditional omakasee...then, on a second visit with a noted NY foodie, with reservations made thru Drew Nierporrent, it was even better, much more intense flavors and combinations...an eel roll stood out, along with a five spiced scallop dish. However, the room and "vibe" was not good//too many people too impressed with themselves. Everyone looking really urban, no one smiling. What's with that?

Morimoto lacked the attitude, and the room was, as Steve mentioned, really something special. But the meal itself was truely balanced, sublime. To me, there is an aura about the grace and simplicity of Japanese food, and if the temperment of the room matches, it can really be a special meal. That's what Morimoto was to me. Perhaps the food at Nobu and Morimoto was equal: the dining experience was not.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

WE had the opposite experience.  On our first visit, Nobu was WAY to full of itself...its one thing to be tourists, its another to be treated as such.

What never ceases to amaze me is how long Nobu makes people (tourists?) sit at the bar at Tribeca Grill, clinging to their orange and pink scraps of paper, waiting for the phone to ring to call them to the table they reserved a month ago. I mean, after four martinis what's the point of trying to eat a good meal. Does Nobu just hope to piss them off enough that that won't try to come back?

My eight or so visits to Next Door have been consistently more enjoyable than my two trips to the main NYC branch of Nobu. Much more relaxed, and with the exception of an overcooked squid pasta, one failed noodle dish, and generally unmemorable desserts, the food has been uniformly excellent. My impression of Morimoto, to which I have not yet been, is that it feels more like Next Door, but with reservations. Can anyone comment?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

• 4 months later...

copied from another thread. some comments may seem out of context:

What a fun room. After devouring the TVFN special on the opening of this place, I felt as though I’d been there before. We were seated in a side “booth”. The tables were so roomy, and the seats so comfortable, it made me think twice about returning to NYC. In fact, all of the places in philly seemed very generous in their spacing btwn tables. A different world for sure.

At any rate, we opted for the omakase, of course.

Tuna (toro) tartare in ponzu with freshly grated wasabi.

Oysters

White fish over greens with an acidic dressing

Another light fish sashimi dish with some great infused oil

Kobe beef over some sort of Japanese sweet potato

Sushi

Chocolate cake

I saw no sign of “upselling.” In fact, when presented with the menus, the server merely stated that wines by the glass and specialty drinks were on the first page of the menu. That was it. Although, we did end up ordering some sake, even though I proclaimed “no sake” to the server. However, this was due in part to her bringing out a bit of “dessert sake” for us to sample, after we discussed sakes and wines for a while (she was very eager to discuss wine and sake, and made it clear that she loves it when customers are into wines). This sake was sweet and smooth. Fortified with plum. Wow. Like nothing I’ve ever had. We also tried another sake (they are specially made for the restaurant), and it was certainly the best sake I’d ever had (read: palatable). Although, I probably wouldn’t order it again, even at Morimoto.

The bill was about 450 before tip.

• 2 months later...

This seems like as good a place as any to post this. Hopefully the moderators will correct me if it is not so. :)

I spent about two weeks this summer attempting to reverse-engineer the citrus-wasabi sorbet that I had both times I've been to Morimotos. After several monumental failures and a bit of fine-tuning, here's my result:

1. Add 1.5 cups sugar to 2.0 cups water. Dissolve sugar over low heat, then raise heat until water boils. Boil for about a minute, and then remove from heat, setting aside.

2. Juice 2 lemons and 2 limes, of good size: you're aiming for about 3/4 cup of juice total. Add 2 tbsp salted yuzu (japanese citron) juice; set aside. Optionally, grate the zest from one of the lemons.

3. In a large bowl, beat 1 egg white until foamy; about 10 seconds.

4. Slowly add the warm sugar syrup to the egg whites while continuously beating. You'll get a lot of foam on the top; this is expected.

5. Add the fruit juice mixture (and zest, if any); continue beating.

6. Add 1-2 tbsp (to taste) wasabi oil. Beat for about 10 second more. Pour into a glass or plastic jar and refridgerate overnight or at least until cold.

7. Give the mixture a vigorous shake before freezing to make sure the wasabi oil is still emulsified. Freeze by whatever your favorite method is. Makes about a quart.

Some notes:

- The salted yuzu juice can be found at most japanese supermarkets, as can wasabi oil.

- The prepared syrup may smell a little bit weird, especially if you're freezing with LN2, which produces billowing clouds of whatever volatiles are in the mix. Ignore this: the finished product lacks this smell.

- This recipe was originally intended to be a Yuzu-Wasabi sorbet, but the only yuzu juice I could find was heavily salted. If you can locate enough fresh yuzu to make 3/4 cups of yuzu juice, that would be The Best Thing of All: substitute it for the lemon and lime juice, and add a teaspoon of salt.

- If you can't locate wasabi oil, pre-made wasabi paste (the kind in a tube) can be substituted, although you'll get a slightly odd aftertaste from the other ingredients in it. You'll want to use about half as much paste as you would of the oil. Do NOT under any cirumstances use "wasabi powder" -- in 99.9999% of all cases, there is no actual wasabi in the powder, but instead it will contain dried western horseradish, turmeric and mustard: take my word for it that the flavor this produces is UNSPEAKABLY NASTY.

The base for this recipe is the lemon sorbet recipe from Bruce Weinstein's "The Ultimate Ice Cream Book."

• 2 months later...

Has anyone been lately? Heard Morimoto's opening in Chelsea in NYC and he's been there setting up recently. A`search has turned up no one visiting here recently. Should we look to dine elsewhere? We're meeting friends who are going to The Eagles-Cowboys game so dress will be somewhat casual. ( No Jerseys though)

Thanks, Lou

Omakase is definitely the way to go. We've done both the $120 and $85 and both are excellent. What's nice is that everyone in the party doesn't have to do the same one. The $120 has more luxury ingredients (maybe some Kobe beef, abalone, etc.), but the $85 certainly doesn't skimp (toro tuna tartare w/caviar for example). From my experiences, this is one place that certainly lives up to all of the hype. Enjoy!

I went for the $120 Omakase in the spring with my wife (she went a la carte) on a trip down from NY. The lobster "apicius" and thin-sliced diver scallops in warm sesame oil were my favorites. Even the decor, which I initially thought was over the top, is oddly comforting, particularly the use of lighting.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

• 3 months later...

Had a 7pm reso at Morimoto last night, after a visit to the Flower Show. This was my third visit to Morimoto, in the last 18 months. I am a twice a week sushi eater, and have been to most of the NY spots of note: Nobu, Jewel Bako, etc.

When making the reservation, I confirmed that the policy was that you cannot make reservations for the sushi bar, but can state your preference to sit there.

Upon arriving, we asked to sit at the suchi bar, which was empty save for 3 filled seats...a couple by the kitchen end, and a single just to the right of the fish counter, for those familiar with the layout. They informed us that there were only seats avail at behind the fish counter ( ie, no view at all of the sushi bar ). We took them.

On the way there, I completely lost my footing on the slick bamboo floor..I was wearing comfortable walking shoes, having just spent three hours at the convention center Flower show. Next thing you know, I was flat on my ass in the middle of Morimoto's. The hostess was concerned, my husband helped me up, and I was limping pretty badly..my ankle is still swollen, and I'm getting an xray later today, since it is getting worse instead of better. A bit shaken, with a hurting ankle, we sat down. We were studiously ignored for a drink order for exactly 11 minutes..with nothing to look at but a case of fish filets. When the waitress came, we ordered our drinks, and asked for clarification on the sushi bar seating policy. She said she would ask the manager. The drinks arrived, and my husband's sake martini had a chip in the glass. We could not flag her down to tell her, so we told a bus boy. He proceeded to get another glass, and pour the martini into it...ah, don't worry about the perferated stomach lining, mister! We discussed leaving, between the ankle and the lack of service and the lousy seats..but our last two meals were spectacular, and we had been looking forward to it. Another waiter then refilled my Pelligrino glass with tap water, but to his benefit promptly appeared with a fresh "on the house" bottle of Pelligrinno. We ordered the omakazee. A large group of 5 came to the sushi bar, and were sat in the prime viewing seats. The manager came over to us, and explained that while reservations are not accepted, every effort is made to accomodate parties who asks for sushi bar seating. So, to clarify..if you ask ABOUT THE POLICY regarding reserving at the sushi bar , you sit at a table or behind the fish case. If you ask if you can reserve the sushi bar and they say no you can't, but you say " I am officailly asking for seats at the sushi bar", well then you can sit there. Got it, class? The manager was very professional, but it was still ridiculous, him saying I needed to ASK and not inquire...and lo and behold..the party who sat was Nick Ashford and guests... I guess he just knew that asking about the sushi bar and OFICIALLY asking about the sushi bar are two different things.

Ok, so we haven't eaten a spoonful of food, and we're aggrivated. And my ankle is throbing. Deep breath. That's what is good about being a grown up...you can get past it. We got past it. We were ready. Feed us, Morimoto, and make the pain go away.

First course was stellar . extraordinary. . White shrimp w/osetra, mirin sauce in a shot glass. Simply fantastic, texturally, the balance of the rich shrimp w/ the acidity, saltiness.. we look at each other. glad we stayed.

And then. like my auspicious entrance into the restaurant, Morimoto fell...and he didn't get up for the entire meal!

Toro tartare, more like puree, overpowered by red onions. The anchovy oil didn't have a hint of that distinctive flavor.

Fluke with bean paste in deep fried wontons..this was terrible. Four wontons in a bamboo cone..we could not even eat one each..greasy, no identifiable fluke flavor, red bean paste that was a glompy blob when fried. No one questioned why we did not eat them. The wasabi/avocado guacamole accompaniement was divine. Pretty presentation.

Overcooked tile fish and arugual salad..a total miss, bland, boring.

Intermeszzo was a citrus sorbet and a wasabi beignet..yeah, the sorbet was pleasant..as it is alomost anywhere..and if there was wasabi in that beignet ( the size of a dime) well, my taste buds missed it. Oh, and intermezzo is when I noticed the fruit flies. And that the woman seated next to me, the lone diner from when we had arrived, was gone. But her water glass, lipsticked napkin, and chopsticks remained..for the balance of our dinner.

Next, lobster..we had the 5 spiced one two times already, I was glad to see another version. This with celophane noodles, steamed in sake, very good, if not exactly memorable. I loved the 5 spice ( or is it 7 spices) version, so its not fair to complain if I was served it for the third time, but yet complain when I did get something different..its just that I wish it was different and equal, not just different. I hope I'm clear on what I mean.

Kobe beef rolled with greens with seared foie ..I'm not a devotee of Kobe beef, it was good. My beloved husband gave me his foie..not knowing it was burnt. Black, sour char on one side..not the side facing up, of course. This course was werved with a flower..oh wait, EVERY course was served with a flower..presentations were typical, trite.

The sushi platter was not anything different or better than my local Princeton sushi bar: eel, fatty tuna, clam, snapper and sardine. The sardine had a wasabi paper like square on it..the texture of a very thin fruit roll up for those of you with kids. The sushi boards were cracked, warped,and the corners looked like a puppy got at them. How much can it be to replace those things?

At dessert, my husband got a call from our daughter at Spring break in FLA. He needed to go outside to deal with it, and I had both desserts served to me..but the Yam cake was cloyingly sweet. The accompanying foam was great, with a mild citrus taste. What will someday be known in our family's lore as the "Great Spring Break Fiasco" necessitated us leaving at that time. While my husband went to get the car so that I would not have to hobble through the parking garage, I settled the bill.

$400, including two carafes of sake, and three sake martini's, and a bottle or two of water.

Note to self: if you are flat on your ass within two minutes of entering a restaurant, turn around and go someplace else with better karma. Seriously, either my experience was an anomoly, or Morimoto is coasting big time..and ready to fall.

Kim WB:

hope your ankle is better...

it's always hard to know, when going to a favourite place, or an old-standby, if you just hit them on a bad evening, or if, as you say, they're coasting and ready to fall.

do you suppose if you wrote the management a kind letter, outlining your experience above, it might help them get their proverbial sh*t together? :smile:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen