• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Some wines

Florida Jim

Aperitif:

2001 Chat. Val Joanis, Cotes du Luberon Rose:

Salmon colored, lightly aromatic, bone dry, pleasant but somewhat thin flavors for drinking now. Innocuous, but at least it doesn’t require food. Imported by Pasternak Wine Imports.

With radicchio risotto and a green salad:

1999 Rochioli, Pinot Noir Russian River Valley:

Ripe and sweet, concentrated, dense, varietally correct pinot that either has no character or has one I don’t like. Good wine (albeit a bit too much alcohol at 14.2%) but not my style.

Another day . . .

With tuna salad:

2000 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet Clos des Allees VV:

Day one; closed and acidic, recorked and put in the refrigerator;

Day two; expansive nose of lime zest, sea shells, fresh air and mineral; bright in the mouth with very deep flavors that follow the nose, focused and intense, concentrated, well balanced and even some complexity; quite long and clean on the finish.

Glorious wine that made me feel like I was dining at the shore on a sunny and breezy day. Great with the dish and decades of life left. Imported by Louis Dressner.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com