• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tour de France

map

Bravo! What a magnificent menu in homage to Le Tour and le velo!

As for your gateau Paris-Brest, this brings back warm recent memories. I rode Paris-Brest-Paris last year and at the pre-ride meal before the 10pm start we were served these delicious individual little cakes, shaped like a bicycle wheel. An unforgettable start to an unforgettable ride.

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow! That Alpe d'Huez cake sounds fantastic! Do you have any pictures? What was inside it? How did you shape it? Did the cake contents resembe the rock of the Alpe? (in terms of looks, not texture...)

Marco-Polo - am so impressed you did Paris-Brest-Paris! Am thinking about doing it myself next time they run it. But it will require two years of psyching myself up for it.

Were those Paris Brest cakes invented in honour of the race then? Ah, just found the answer in my Larousse - they were indeed invented in 1891 by a pastry cook on the suburbs of Paris whose shop was on the route of the race. Apparently there is also a version called Paris-Nice without almonds and filled with Saint-Honore cream. Is there a Paris - Nice race still?

Marco-Polo - am so impressed you did Paris-Brest-Paris!  Am thinking about doing it myself next time they run it.  But it will require two years of psyching myself up for it. 

Go for it, Druckenbrodt, PBP is one of the greatest cycling experience you can have. And it's very food related, too. Apart from the Paris-Brest gateau, much of my memories are about eating, what four, five, six immense meals at all times of day or night at the stops along the historic route and with people who offered hospitality to the riders as we passed through their towns and villages.

The next PBP, as you probably know, will not be until 2007; having experienced it once, I can't imagine not being there next time. But next time my goal will be TO EAT MORE GOOD FOOD along the way, stopping in Mortagne for its famous boudin noir, and along the way through Brittany for some galettes de sarrasin, and in Brest itself to celebrate with at least a dozen huîtres de Belon...

This last time, I'm afraid, it was mainly a case of food as fuel.

MP

• 8 months later...

Well, it's time to revive this thread... Already 5 days along, today was Chambord-Montargis in the Loire Valley. I believe it's on to Alsace later in the week.

It would seem that the reataurants in the arrival and departure towns would have a 1 day boon, it seems that there are hundreds and hundreds of support people to feed on the route. Do any of these restaurants do special menus?

There just aired a wonderful special about the route of this year's tour, on the Travel Channel. Surprisingly good show, TravelChannel rarely has anything worthwhile. The host followed the exact route of the tour, stopping and giving the history, culture and food of many of the towns.

I took particular note of a restaurant in Le Croisic, a resort town just south of Brittany that attracts an upscale crowd. Called L'Ocean, they serve only Oysters and are only open from Noon to 3PM. When he asked the owners if 3 hours is enough to make money, their answer was "It's not about the money, it's about the quality of life." That just about sums up the difference between France and the US.

Well, after today's stage, I agree we should revive this thread. How about dinner tonight? I'm having some comte fruite from the Vosges (nice stage 3 days ago) and sausage from Lyon (23rd day time trial). Unfortunately the Tour is missing the haricots-growing and Bordeaux-producing areas this year, but I'll eat and drink them anyway.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I'm off to the Fancy Food Show in NYC. I'll pay special attention to any imports from the French Alps. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Well, after today's stage, I agree we should revive this thread.  How about dinner tonight?  I'm having some comte fruite from the Vosges (nice stage 3 days ago) and sausage from Lyon (23rd day time trial).  Unfortunately the Tour is missing the haricots-growing and Bordeaux-producing areas this year, but I'll eat and drink them anyway.

Yes, what an exciting stage-- thank goodness for Directv and OLN!! The highlight of Savoie food is Reblochon cheese, at its peak this time of year-- great mixed with potatoes for "tartiflette" or with apples and walnuts for "rebloche". Anyone spending the night in Courchevel?