• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Congratulations to Steve Klc

razzar

Again, thank you, we're suprised by the reaction and appreciative. I think JFLinLA I'll follow your suggestion and get into the questions people have about the event and techniques over in the Pastry forum:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=45329&st=30

It meant a lot to me to represent DC well on a national stage, that the Post deemed it worth covering and that you all were moved by what we did.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Simply awesome. Such incredible talent. Congratulations Steve. There's no doubt, after seeing those pictures, that you guys deserved to win. :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

As a flower show veteran, I was struck by the beauty of the floral design incorporated in your cake. It's not an easy skill to master when using fresh flowers. But to top the design elements off by having made your own flowers, stems and supports with sugar; that's downright incredible. Hat's off to you, Steve!

Oh. My. God.

Steve and Chefette, you guys are real artists! (As if there were ever any doubt? :laugh: )

Fat Guy: Potty Barn carries some sort of garland that can hold votive candles -- meant to go around a door jamb. Don't know if they have it in the stores, but might that work for your cupcakes??

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

I see a lot of parallels here to the world of haute couture fashion. Cakes like these are demonstrations of excellence in artistry within their realm and are, like haute couture fashion, partly about selling the dream. Very few people will ever have a cake like one of these, but we can watch the fashion show and be inspired by the art of the possible. We can learn to appreciate the outer limits while we make our own pret-a-porter cupcake trees.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Wow, Steve, very beautiful wedding cake. Inspired me to look at your site again, you've added a lot more pictures haven't you? I especially liked the idea (and cakes) of using cakes as table centerpieces. Was there an additional wedding cake for the cutting ceremony? Did people serve themselves of the centerpieces for dessert?

Stunning. Congratulations Steve.

Deleted that post of yours, eh, Mr Rocks? I'll have whatever you were drinking last night :wink:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Seeing those pictures prompted me for the first time - ever - to ask myself why i didn't go ahead and major in pastry rather than just general culinary. Grr.

Congratulations - and how wonderful it must be to have a partner with which to share your passion for pastry. Cheers to both of you.

Also, thanks for turning us on to Duff Goldman. What a great website he has - check it out, people!

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Congratulations Steve!

Again thanks for our amazing underwater themed wedding cake! I look forwar to seeing you at eve in the near future.

Todd Thrasher

The Guy who says YES CHEF and Sometimes makes a cocktail or two.

Restaurant Eve

110 S. Pitt St.

Alexandria, VA 22314

(703) 706-0450

Eamonn's A Dublin Chipper

PX (Upstairs)

728 King Street

Alexandria, VA 22314

(703) 299-8384

Good question W-Grrl, someone in the audience asked me this right before I was about to move the cake to the display table. I said it would depend if I had to travel to do it or could do it locally--and then I would probably try to re-design it slightly to be a little less risky--but locally as is about $1,500 for 150 or so people because we'd have to do x hours of extra sugar work--basically backups of ALL the sugar pieces and then extra backups for the things most likely to break. So that means about 1/3 the time extra even though we likely would not need to use any of those backups, because when you promise something to a client you have to deliver.

(I may not have mentioned but there was an emcee fielding questions throughout the event, sticking the mike in our face, and two cameramen in and around our maybe 10 foot wide kitchen getting up close and personal--and then projecting the image onto big screens so everyone seated in the theater could see everything we did. There was no place to hide.)

But how did it taste?

Sweet, once they announced the results. Seriously, the judges didn't taste our cakes, only the public did--and we did chocolate with cardamom, pistachio and rose.

Really, thank you everybody. The reaction to this is unexpected. You're convincing me our continual efforts to raise awareness on this site and support good work are worth it.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

So, your website mentions classes but none planned for the future. If we can't learn how to make pitas at Zaytinya, can we convince you to hold another class on something sweet and fabulous????? Between the raves about your desserts on this board and now these fabulous shots I'm sure the class would fill quickly!