• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Low-Carb Wines

zilla369

Bleh. So weary of all this low-carb stuff, but i think the trend is going to hang around awhile (the staying power of the trend itself is the subject of lively discussion elsewhere on eG, so i'm not adressing that here.)

However, since i cook at a restaurant with no liquor license (beer and wine only), i found my interest piqued by a mention of Brown-Foreman's new low-carb wines, One.6 and One.9, during a low-carb segment on the Today Show this morning. I'm not much of a wine drinker, myself, but i could definitely see our guests being interested in these products. And since we're in Kentucky, home of Brown-Foreman, i'm sure we'd be able to find a supplier with ease.

So - and i apologize if this has been discussed here already; i did run a search - has anyone tried these wines?

Quote from the 5/20/2004 Cincinnati Enquirer:

Kentucky-based Brown-Forman is making special, low-carb wines, One.6 Chardonnay and One.9 Merlot, named after the number of carbohydrates in a 5-ounce serving. Brown-Foreman makes Jack Daniel's and Southern Comfort and also is a leading wine producer.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

I don't think you'll get much help on low-carb wine from this discerning crowd! :raz:

Last week in the grocery I saw an extremely fat lady asking the checker where to find low-carb candy. Oh, puh-leeze!

Personally, I'm on a macroenological diet. :biggrin:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Most dry white wines contain less than 1.0 g of carbohydrate per 4 fluid oz. serving. This was true even before low-carbing became so popular. :wink:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Most dry white wines contain less than 1.0 g of carbohydrate per 4 fluid oz. serving.  This was true even before low-carbing became so popular. :wink:

=R=

Ronnie speaks the truth. Mostly, it's marketing. And that some of our customers might be tempted by said marketing is precisely the reason i might lobby our GM to put these wines on the list. I mean, hell - "low-carb cheesecake" is flying out the kitchen door, believe it or not.

Since this wine is produced by local company Brown-Forman, i e-mailed our local (but fairly well-known) wine guru and restaurant reviewer, Robin Garr, for his opinion. He kindly pointed me to this recent article on his wine lover's website.

Perhaps those patrons that might be entranced by the low-carb labeling might also like it poured with The Wine Clip attached :wink:

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Even on Atkins, which is one of the more restrictive low-carb plans, it says right in black and white in the book that wine is acceptable once on the proper rung of the diet.

You can enjoy pretty much anything other than ports or other high-sugar content wines, and in fact, it is even encouraged due to the health benefits associated with the wine. Since wine itself is naturally fairly low-carb, there is no real reason for this stuf other than marketing...

Then again, all pure spirits are 0 carbs, and yet there was some bizarre 'soy vodka' I saw advertised as a 0 carb product, and flying off shelves because of it. Perhaps it actually tastes good, I have no clue, I'll stick to my 0 carb Chopin thank you very much.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I'll stick to my 0 carb Chopin thank you very much.

I'm right behind you with the Kettel One, although I do like champagne too :biggrin:

=R=

Timely piece by Bill Daley in today's Chicago Tribune...

What would Dr. Atkins drink?

If counting carbohydrates is driving you to drink, you may want to take comfort in a glass of wine--a beverage naturally low in carbohydrates.

Some winemakers are beginning to capitalize on this fact and the low-carb craze by marketing their already low-carb products as, well, low-carb drinks.

=R=