• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Dog Johnny's

kitcat

My husband and I enjoy traveling to Butzville, NJ for a hotdog and a frosted mug of Birch Beer every now and then. I just finished reading HollyEats.com's review of Hot Dog Johnny's and wondered if anyone here has ever been there and if so, do you have any idea why there are no prices posted anywhere? I asked a girl behind the counter one time why their prices weren't posted and she only said that they could tell us the prices if we ask. Fun place, pretty good dogs, tasty Birch Beer,  but weird to have no prices posted!

I'm sorry to say I don't remember the price of the hotdogs-- We haven't been there in a number of months. They were reasonably priced, I think. I was also wishing that Hot Dog Johnny's offered sauerkraut with their dogs. They're fairly plain but you can order them with ketchup, mustard, pickle relish, onions (I think) and can't remember if they offer chilli on 'em. I tend to think not because Mr. kitkat would've ordered that. I just can't figure out why no prices are displayed-- ANYWHERE. It's not like some fancy-shmancy restaurant or a place where seafood prices would keep changing or something.

They have excellent birch beer and good fries. I'm not impressed with the dogs. Good, but not great.

No distinguishing, exciting factors. Like Rutt's Rippers, or the Royal's Garlic, or Hange and Johnny's chili mix...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

After hearing a lot about Hot Dog Johnny's, and being a hot dog fanatic myself, I decided to stop there. Last year, returning from the Delaware Water Gap on a family outing, we decided to make a detour and find Johnny's. A great place for a roadside hot dog joint,  nice atmosphere. I have no idea why they don't list prices, but hot dogs are only ũ.00. The owner, a middle aged woman who is the daughter of the founder (Johnny) wasn't very friendly, and refused to tell me what brand of hot dog was used. In fact, she acted like I asked her weight. I found out from a young girl working there that the hot dogs are boiled. They are a pork/beef blend that I found to be very bland. I assumed that they were a cheap brand; especially since they are only a dollar and come 6 to a lb. Nothing special, mediocre in my opinion. I suppose the big attraction is the atmosphere.

Fast forward to this summer. A few people on my mail route told me about a German deli that has excellent German style (pork and beef) franks. I tried them, and they are excellent. Better than any pork and beef frank I ever tasted, and I had a lot of them from hot dog joints, deli's and butcher shops. I found out that they are not made at the deli, but made for them at a different location. To make a long story shorter, the guy owning the place where they are made also lives on my route. From him I found out that he supplys Hot Dog Johnny's! I couldn't believe that franks I went out of my way to get were the same ones that I had at Johnny's that I considered mediocre. The reason is that I cook them on a griddle or on the charcoal grill and it makes a big difference. I even deep fried them and they were fantastic. Beef and pork franks just aren't the same boiled.

I don't know if it's appropriate to divulge brand names that people want kept secret here on this forum, so I won't. Just e-mail me if you want to know. I've met a lot of hot dog people who guard their brand like a nuclear secret. I take it as a challenge to find this out. Galloping Hill Inn, Hot Dog Johnny's, Father & Son are all places that won't tell you. I've found the distributors, and in some cases, the manufacturer. You can always buy from them wholesale if you buy 3 to 5 lbs. And if you have a griddle, grill, or deep fryer, you can make them just like they do at the places that sell them. You can also get the same franks sold at Papaya King, Gray's Papaya, and Katz's in N.Y.

John the hot dog guy

I agree that the hot dogs are fairly mediocre (would be better grilled than boiled and could use some 'kraut) at HDJ's, but we like it as much for the pretty location near Delaware Water Gap and its site overlooking the Pequest River as for the food. The kitschy sign and offerings of dill pickles and buttermilk as well as birch beer in frosted mugs, and decent fries make it worth the trip every so often. I also love the name and town it's in: BUTZville! Juvenile, I know. I'd just love to ask the owner what's the deal with no prices posted. (I realize I'm sounding a tad obsessed about this price thing, but it's just plain WEIRD to me!)

• 2 months later...

First, it is a hot dog for goodness sakes so why have an issue with the prices being posted? What is the difference between a dog for ũ.00 versus a dog for ũ.25?

Second, I am sitting with a former employee of HotDog Johnny's and the dogs are not boiled and we will not divulge how they are cooked.

Third, I agree that half of the fun of visiting Buttzville is the name.

Fourth, life is too short too worry about the prices of dogs or how they are cooked.  Just give me four dogs with everything on them and ignore the mustard on my face!

but, Jiggy, would you make a special effort to drive to HDJ's for their doggies?

Whether their dogs are all beef, beef and pork, beef and cat, etc isn't of great interest to me. How they test is of interest.

For me, HDJ's place is worth a stop if I'm out that way, but not worth a special drive or long detour. Rutt's Hutt is worth a special drive, HDJ's isn't...

Since lots of other folks like it, it will do just fine without my buck...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

To Jiggy and/or the former employee: Why the secrecy? I realize most people only care about taste, and could care less about the brand of dog or how it is cooked. In the case of Hot Dog Johnny's, most of the allure is the roadside atmosphere, not the hot dogs. I've had much better hot dogs, and many of the proprietors have told me where they get their dogs at the risk of me purchasing them much cheaper to cook at home. I also know the distributors and get the dogs at the same cost that the owner does, only I have to buy a minimum of 3 to 5 lbs. Admittedly, most people are not like me; but hot dogs are sort of a weird hobby. I respect your privacy and will not divulge the company that makes the franks for Hot Dog Johnny's over this forum. I do know the owner of the place that makes their hot dogs and have had the franks cooked at home, and I must say that they are quality franks. I love them grilled, charbroiled, or deep fried (well done) and they are great. I've had them at Hot Dog Johnny's and at a deli boiled, and they are not so great. I wonder if someone who went to Johnny's asking how the dogs were cooked for health reasons would be given a straight answer or wouldn't be told; or in the case of  owner Pat Fotsopoulos, given a snotty "None of your business!". So my guess, if they aren't boiled, they are either steamed (most likely) or quickly flash fried. But no matter; if I knew, I wouldn't cook them that way. Just curious as to why this information is treated as if it is top secret classified info. And Johnny's isn't the only place that's like this. Galloping Hill Inn down the street from me in Union is the same.

John the hot dog guy

To John,

Judging by your reply,  you do not know how they are cooked andwhat does it matter?  Also what does the brand matter?  I think the allure of the place is its location as well as the mystery that should be maintained.  Some things are better left to the unknown and just enjoying the place and the dogs are the most important thing.  Don't you think?

To Jiggy,

I'm glad you asked! I can't speak for most people; especially those who love Hot Dog Johnny's. But I can speak for myself. It matters to me the brand of hot dog used and the way it is cooked simply because I've made enjoying hot dogs and going to hot dog restaurants a hobby. I like to be able to enjoy hot dogs that I've had at various places in the comfort of my home. I like the hot dogs at Rutt's Hut, and because I know the brand used, and how it is cooked; I can reproduce it at home. The same with hot dogs made at some of my other favorite places; Syd's, Father & Son, Jerry's, Max's, and the Italian Hot Dog restaurants in North Jersey; one of which my daughter works for. I don't take this hobby seriously, but I do have fun learning about various hot dog producers, how hot dogs are made, and how they are cooked. I've been to a few places that manufacture hot dogs including Thumann's and Best's in N.J. I know a few distributors including one that distributes franks from out of state. One of my favorite hot dogs is made in Wisconsin (Usinger's) and is not sold anywhere in N.J. I cook it at home, and it is better than any all beef hot dog I've had at any hot dog restaurant.

I always talk with either the owner or manager of the place I visit, and while most of them answer my questions, some do not. I ask them why, and I get answers ranging from "None of your business" to "We don't want anyone copying us" to "If I told you, I'd lose your business because you could have our unique hot dog at home for cheaper." I guess I can understand their point a little; but I assure them I'm not going to open a hot dog store and I will still frequent their restauarant. Just because I can buy a six pack of beer cheap doesn't mean I am going to stop going to a bar. Plus these people for the most part know me personally from going to their restaurants.

I would also say that if life is too short to worry about prices or how the product is cooked; it is also too short to make an effort to hide them. You are right when you say that enjoying the place and the hot dogs are the most important thing, but that doesn't mean that they can't make the experience more enjoyable for someone like myself or Holly who may travel a considerable distance to sample more than the atmosphere or food. The location is definitely the allure or part of the allure of Hot Dog Johnny's. As for mystery: as far as hot dog brands are concerned, the only mystery is for hot dog fanatics like myself. As you stated, most people don't care.

John the hot dog guy

• 5 years later...

tried hot dog johnny's for lunch today and i'm a bit disappointed. fries were good and the outdoor seating area great. but the hot dogs were a little mushy and very salty. didn't have a chance to have the buttermilk. guess i'd stop by again if in the area, but wouldn't go out of the way for it.

rode to white mana and washed down hot dog johnny's with a couple of doubles with cheese and onions. :)