• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

math

Rolling pin:  be careful what you wish for edition...

The RLB rolling pin went back.  To take its place I reached out to my favorite kitchen supply, McMaster-Carr.  Tonight was delivered my new pin:  a two foot by 13/4 inch, food grade, polytetrafluoroethylene* rod.  It fits comfortably in the dishwasher with no room to spare.  And no gecko will ever stick to it.**

The only problem, it weighs 2.25 kg/5 pounds.  By comparison my stainless steel rolling pin weighs 2 kg/4.4 pounds.  Knowing the density of PTFE, 2.2 g/cm3, I could have calculated the weight.  But I figured:  "How heavy could plastic be?"  In any event, the new pin arrived too late to roll the second half of the dough batch before dinner.

*in some circles known as Teflon.

**disclaimers and restrictions apply.

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

Rolling pin:  be careful what you wish for edition...

The RLB rolling pin went back.  To take its place I reached out to my favorite kitchen supply, McMaster-Carr.  Tonight was delivered my new pin:  a two foot by 13/4 inch, food grade, polytetrafluoroethylene* rod.  It fits comfortably in the dishwasher with no room to spare.  And no gecko will ever stick to it.**

The only problem, it weighs 2.25 kg/5.5 pounds.  By comparison my stainless steel rolling pin weighs 2 kg/4.4 pounds.  Knowing the density of PTFE, 2.2 g/cm3, I could have calculated the weight.  But I figured:  "How heavy could plastic be?"  In any event, the new pin arrived too late to roll the second half of the dough batch before dinner.

*in some circles known as Teflon.

**disclaimers and restrictions apply.