• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ Zagat Guide

=Mark

Looked over the latest installment of the NJ Zagat. Andrea Clurfield, food writer for the Asbury Park Press is still editor. She has had a long standing not very secret feud with Casa Comida (Monmouth County's oldest, largest TexMex restaurant) for years. Ever since Clurfield took over as editor of the guide the listing for Casa Comida has totally dissapeared. It's still missing in this issue. Coincidence?

More surprising is the absence of Buona Sera, one of the hottest upscale Italian eateries in the Red Bank area.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I looked over the new Zagat's also. I don't really trust Zagat's very much. I live near the Reo Diner in Woodbridge and I can't understand why people like it. I think the service is awful and the food is not the best diner food in NJ. Then to see Outback Steakhouse in one of the top categories?

It seems the great, little restaurants never make these lists. Which is probably a good thing.

Then to see Outback Steakhouse in one of the top categories?

which category?

they're probably serving a better steak than a large percentage of NJ restaurants.

I agree, Outback's steak is decent. Besides, who cares about Zagat and Zagat's opinion!

:D

and steak-for-steak, outback is doing a better job than Arthur's, who happens to get a higher rating in the "food" category.

zagat is a silly little phone book for sure, but it does carry quite the marketing punch. and when restaurants are being left out year after year, you gotta ask why. and more important than us asking why is the owners who are being shut out of that marketing opportunity.

eff zagats.

What happened to Arthur's in Hoboken? I haven't been there in a few years and had a steak last week. It was horrible. I remembered the place to be decent, not great. I was really put off by the food, service , and dirty back dining room. No wonder people are heading for places like Outback? They are usually obnoxiously clean and remain consistant-good or bad as that may be.

Not too many places in and around Essex County that serve good steaks. If there are....let me know. thanks

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

i used to absolutely love arthur's, eating there several times a week for a long stretch.

i'm convinced that its decline has less to do with a change in the restaurant and more to do with me not appreciating 2 liters of warm coors light, waits for tables, fatty dry meat, and the college atmosphere.

i'm convinced that its decline has less to do with a change in the restaurant and more to do with me not appreciating 2 liters of warm coors light, waits for tables, fatty dry meat, and the college atmosphere.

Goodness, Tommy...you're not gonna get all mature on us, are you?!? :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

What a joke Zagat is, listing Outback but leaving out winning places like American Grill and Harvest Bistro and I'm sure countless other worthy restaurants...

Maybe next year Zagat will list McDonald's and Burger King!! :blink:

Goodness, Tommy...you're not gonna get all mature on us, are you?!? :biggrin:

only my waistline and my wrinkles. the rest, for the most part, continues to get more immature.

only my waistline and my wrinkles. the rest, for the most part, continues to get more immature.

SHWEEEEEEEEEEEW!!! :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."