• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Battle of the Fort Lee Dogs

Jason Perlow

I went to this place once about a 2 years ago shortly after it opened. It's down the street from Cubby's. I had the Sabrett, the Thumann's griller with chili, and the ripper. The Sabrett dog was either old, or laying in the water too long, or both. It was gray in color and flavorless. The griller was ok; not cooked enough. Chili was very good. The ripper was my favorite. Unremarkable overall. The Thumann's griller is a great hot dog; I'm surprised that it isn't available in more places. The only 2 places near me that I can get it is the Caddyshack (which recently closed down) and the Little League snack bar in town. The same dog served at The Dog House Grill, but cooked longer and only $1.50. This is a great dog to cook at home.

John the hot dog guy

• 1 year later...

I went to Hiram's tonight thanks to the NAV in my car. I did see the Callahans immeditaly to the right of it. I asked for two dogs with the red onion sauce on top and a beer on tap. This was my fist trip to Hiram's and I was really not happy with the dogs. Two dogs and a beer on tap set me back $6.25 I think. I just thought the dogs and the onions were bland. I even added some spicy mustard to kick it up a notch. Should I have got the chili dog or something? I don't think I will rush back to Hiram's in the future. Some sweet looking apartments with wonderful views in the are though.

My favorite place in Jersey for hot dogs is Jerry's in Elizabeth.. My favorite place to go for hot dogs and burgers is Hiams. They serve beer, have pretty good burgers and the staff that works there use to be the old owners till they lost the place while betting on the world series. The place is filled with degenerate gambles, present company included. Its fun to go during football season, just keep your hands off the payphone.

Jerry's is one of my favorite places to go for a dog also. Closeby and open most of the time, so it's convenient. The dogs are always fresh, hot and tasty. They boil their dogs, then finish them off on a griddle. Basically a dirty water dog with a little extra crunchiness and flavor. My wife's favorite hot dog joint. Jerry's, Syd's, and Father & Son all use Best's natural casing dog's. Syd's uses a 5 count while the other 2 use an 8. Syd's boils then charbroils, Jerry's boils then grills, Father & Son cooks their dogs on a griddle over low heat over a period of time. These places serve the best all beef dogs in Jersey. Boulevard Drinks in Jersey City and the Old Heidelburg in Keansburg are pretty good.

As for Hiram's, did you know that they use the same dogs as Rutt's Hut? The Thumann's deep fryers. Hiram's dog is a little wider, but the same recipe. You have to ask for one well done. I just get mine with mustard. A real Jersey roadside joint. Great place to have a few beers and some dogs.

John the hot dog guy

Hey John,

Haven't seen you in a while. I hope you and the wife are doing well. I did notice that the dog was very simular to Rutt's. I just love that relish at Rutt's I guess. Maybe next time I go to Hirams I will try the chili sauce or something.

I also noticed a place on the way home from work that is also a hot dog place in a strip mall. It's on my way from Piscataway to route 22. It might be on Stelton or Washington avenue. I will have to investigate.

I stil have to get to Syds also.

For a few years, when I was a kid, my family lived in Horizon House the apartment buildings across the street from Hirams and Callahans. We always went to Callahans for hot dogs and Hirams for hamburgers. I have never tired the hot dog at Hirams but I have had the hamburger at Callahans. IMO Hirams makes a superior burger.

I gotta have the hot dog all the way at the Hot Grill with the fries and gravy. Another one of my favorites in college was Dickie Dee's in Newark , tasty fried dogs on a pita bread with peppers, onions, & potato.

• 3 weeks later...

I found a hot dog place in Dumont last week- sort of a right place at the right time kind of thing- called Jolly Nick's. They sell the same sort of Thuman's deep fryers as Hiram's or Rutt's. I'm not sure it's worth going out of one's way for but it's good to know that there's a close option if you're in the Northern Valley area. It's a small storefront run by a father and son team who were extremely nice and friendly. The toppings are very good and the mustard is rock solid. Fries were tasty and crispy and kind of reminded me of the 'bowling alley' fries that I grew up on (meant as a compliment). I didn't make any special requests as it was my first time and got more of an in-and-outer, but I can't imagine that they'd have a problem cooking 'em well done. That's speculation on my part but we'll see. I live in the area so I'll be back soon.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

• 10 months later...

I spoke with Rick Castrianni who is the owner of Callahans. He confirmed that they will be closing sometime in September. The family sold this location (Fort Lee) to a bank. They have been in business since 1950 and are a local landmark. Located right down the street from the old Palisades Amusement Park, it was a stop for people heading to or leaving there.

This is good news for the Castrianni family, but bad news for hot dog lovers. A similar thing happenned to the owners of Eagans in North Arlington, a beloved hot dog joint frequented by my father in the 1950's. They were offerred an obscene amount of money from either Rite Aid or CVS, members of the Satanic drug store cartel that specializes in gobbling up favorite local landmarks like Eagan's, Jahn's Ice Cream, the Parsonage Diner, and others. Can't say I blame the owners for selling, but do we really need another damned drugstore or bank?

There are 2 other Callahans locations; one in Little Ferry, the other in Hasbrouck Heights. Both are owned by Rick Castrianni's brother. And both use the same hot dog prepared the same way. So people who love Callahan's will still have 2 locations to choose from. But not the Fort Lee location caome September. It will be missed.

John the hot dog guy

It's going to be a shame to see a Fort Lee landmark like Callahan's go, John.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host