• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Checking in from Holland

Brad Ballinger

I'm in the middle of a hellacious travel schedule. But there have been some wine moments.

Last week I was in Miami, in the middle of weather that is suited more toward beer. But I happened to have a very nice bottle of 2001 Bruno Giacosa Roero Arneis ($42 restaurant price, not bad). The wine had great mineral and lemon oil. Oh, how that bottle was a comfort in that steamy land.

Today, I'm in the middle of a stretch in the Netherlands. Most people drink beer here, a combination of Dutch and Belgian brews, and I've joined in with them. But tonight with some co-workers here in Gorinchem (middle of nowhere, trust me) I did have a bottle of 2002 Chateau Guiraud Saint-Chinian that was luscious and juicy, with some very nice mineral backbone (25 euros restaurant price). And it paired well with kangaroo (yes, real kangaroo). That was a first for me.

I also found a wine shop here and walked away with some hard-to-find (in the states) Beaujolais. I also came across a bottle of 1990 Bertani Recioto di Amarone without a price tag. There was only one, and I was hoping for a steal. But the person working the shop had to call the owner at home, and I was told 75 euros. Oh, well, can't be faulted for trying.

This weekend off to drink wine with friends in Belgium, and there will certainly be good wines to report about.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I also found a wine shop here and walked away with some hard-to-find (in the states) Beujolais. I also came across a bottle of 1990 Bertani Recioto di Amarone without a price tag. There was only one, and I was hoping for a steal. But the person working the shop had to call the owner at home, and I was told 75 euros. Oh, well, can't be faulted for trying.

Brad-

I was in Amsterdam a couple of months ago, and fell into a delightful, tiny wine shop that specialized in French wines. I don't remember the name of the shop, but it was on Kerkstraat between Amstel and Utrechtsestraat, just a stone's throw from the Magere Brug (Skinny Bridge). The owner, who was the only one working in the store, was informative, talkative, and passionate about French wine (If I remember correctly, I think he was a British expat). You might be interested in checking it out.

I also found a wine shop here and walked away with some hard-to-find (in the states) Beujolais.  I also came across a bottle of 1990 Bertani Recioto di Amarone without a price tag.  There was only one, and I was hoping for a steal.  But the person working the shop had to call the owner at home, and I was told 75 euros.  Oh, well, can't be faulted for trying.

Brad-

I was in Amsterdam a couple of months ago, and fell into a delightful, tiny wine shop that specialized in French wines. I don't remember the name of the shop, but it was on Kerkstraat between Amstel and Utrechtsestraat, just a stone's throw from the Magere Brug (Skinny Bridge). The owner, who was the only one working in the store, was informative, talkative, and passionate about French wine (If I remember correctly, I think he was a British expat). You might be interested in checking it out.

I've been in that wine shop and I agree with your assesment of the owner.

Now I have to see if I can dig up his card.

slowfood/slowwine