• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

High point

Florida Jim

Bob, Brown, Greg, Larry, Mary, Tami, Steve, Barb and yours truly assembled in High Point for some serious festivization. We ate grilled beef tenderloin with lavender, grilled endive, braised riddiccio, salad, fresh baked bread and quick boiled asparagus. We drank:

1983 Chat. De Lacarelle, Tirage Primeur Beaujolais-Villages:

This stuff was not only alive it was truffled, complex, fruit solid and well balanced. A 21 year old Beau. that delivered more than it ever promised.

2002 Dom. Chantemerle, Chablis Fourchaume:

Considering its youth, this wine was remarkably complex and full flavored. I think a long future is in store but no one can be faulted for drinking it now.

1996 Lynch Bages:

How can this be this open? A beautiful, albeit young Bordeaux that has remarkable complexity, ripeness and sustain. ‘Tastes purple (if that’s possible) and has a great future but rocked the house this evening. WOTN for me.

1998 Rostaing, Cote-Rotie:

Closed when opened (well, you know what I mean . . .) but gradually opened to a point where, although still restrained, its profile suggested focus rather than youth, and it showed elegnace, finesse and length. A fine wine that needs time but it showed more than enough this night.

1992 Chave, Rouge:

I have had this wine several times in the last year or so and this was not its best moment. More insecticide or medicinal tones on the nose than I like and not as marrowy as other bottles. Fair but not up to its pedigree.

1998 Ogier, Cote-Rotie:

When first uncorked, it blew everything away. But as it opened it became loose-knit and almost blowsy; not what I expected at all. Good, not great.

1990 Jamet, Cote-Rotie:

I have had this wine twice in the last year and this bottle showed disjointed and young. Clearly, a quality wine but my last bottle was integrated and ready, this was a glimpse into the future.

1997 Jamet, Cote-Brune, Cote-Rotie

Lots of bacon on the nose this is deeper, more concentrated and even younger than the other Cote-Rotie we tasted. Is going to be exceptional; later.

1985 Graham’s Port:

Port is not my forte and this seemed sweet and young. But I am not to be trusted regarding such after-dinner wines and others enjoyed it more than I; especially with a cheese assortment.

I’ve no idea what will be opened next, but I’ll try to show up . . .

Best, Jim

Edited by Florida Jim (log)

www.CowanCellars.com