• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Myung Ga Tofu & B.B.Q. Restaurant in Fairview

jhlurie

I'm going to write about this place because my friend Jason Perlow is probably still too emotional.  I swear I saw him crying by the time we left this place.

I always like to put my reactions in context, so I'll make a story out of this.

Today started out as a very bad day.  I've been having some serious car problems, and was facing the prospect of paying a heck of a lot of money to get it fixed.

My good friends the Perlows did me a favor, and picked me up after I dropped my car at the dealership.  Almost inevitably the three of us decided to look for lunch, and since two of the three of us were in the mood for Italian food, we headed towards Patsy's Ristorante, in Cliffside Park.

We didn't make it there.  Driving up Route 1&9 (that's a road that's called Tonelle Ave. and later Broad Avenue) we passed what, from the outside, appeared to be a very unlikely prospect for lunch... but it was new, so we pulled over.

From the outside this place looks like a renovated fast food restaurant--a former Wendy's or Burger King maybe.  A big bright sign says "Light House", and a smaller one says "Myung Ga Tofu & B.B.Q. Restaurant".  I'm not sure if there's any relationship between the two names, since I don't speak more than five words of Korean, but I'm thinking that "Myung Ga" might mean "Light House".  Or not.

Jason and I were feeling lazy, so Rachel Perlow volunteered to get of the car and go look at the menu.  Well approximately five seconds after she closes the car door the smell of the place penetrates our two laconic minds, and we bolt for the door after her.

In short, the place specializes in Korean BBQ and does little else.  But this is no weakness, because they do this BBQ as well as any place I've ever had it.

The menu is only about 10 items long.  Rachel actually walked out with a take-out version of it, so perhaps she could reproduce it in its entirety, but trust me... you probably don't need to see it.

To start:  Pretty much every Korean restaurant I've been to starts you off the same.  You get complimentary little bowls of various vegetarian appetizers.  Myung Ga was no different, and if a single complaint could be lodged against this place its that the variety (although NOT the quantity) of these freebies was a bit scarce.  The Kimchee was excellent, and the spicy pickles (we argued for several minutes about whether they were picked cucumbers or pickled zuchini) were completely outrageous.  The bean sprouts were... well... bean sprouts.

Then came the soup.  We chose the Tofu Beef and Tofu Pork soups, and hopefully Rachel can follow up this post with more specific names for them from the take-out menu.

Both soups were simple, and similar... a soft, loose tofu in broth, with the taste of the meat proving body to the broth.  In the case of the beef soup, however, we ordered it spicy--with scalions and kimchee in it--and it brings a whole new dimension to the soup.   The tofu and the kimchee balance each other out nicely and stragely enough it becomes a kind of comfort soup for spicy food psychotics like Jason and myself.

For the main course we opted for an order of the Bul-gogi (BBQ beef) and an order of the Gal-bi (short ribs).  Since there were only about 2 or 3 other choices in any case, this was definitely the way to go.

The Bul-gogi was excellent.  And the Short Ribs were beyond excellent.

These are actually hard items to write about, because they are so simple.   It makes it pretty hard to describe the reason for their excellence.  

The Short Ribs were made with meat of such quality, and the sauce and cooking of them were done so correctly, that it may just be one of those cases where you have to see, smell and taste it yourself to understand beyond that.

Rachel, Jason... perhaps you can fill in the cracks a bit.  I've left out a lot about the interesting atmosphere of the place, and our reactions and descriptions about food always vary somewhat, but I know that glazed look in Jason's eyes when we left was definitely a sign that he enjoyed it as much as I did.

Oh... and the place is cheap too.

(Edited by jhlurie at 11:10 am on Jan. 13, 2002)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

To answer Rosie's question first, for a Saturday afternoon lunch (we arrived around 1:30) it seemed pretty busy. It has a decent sized dining area, I would guess they have a seating capacity of around 100, and was about 1/3 full. I'm sure at night it's even busier. If it were Sunday I would think a lot of them had just come from church because I saw quite a few kids in suits or dresses. Which reminds me, we were the only non-Asians in the place, and they seemed very happy to see us and that we enjoyed the food.

Now, back to Jon's comments. First off, I think it is important to note that it is called a ToFu & BBQ restaurant, in that order. Because, I feel that they really specialize in the tofu part. As mentioned above, the menu is very short, 8 tofu soups and 2 BBQ. The menu cards on the table list a couple other options (squid BBQ and seafood pancake), but when we tried to order the pancake, it was pointed out that they only have items 1-10 now. Presumably, when they opened they had all 12 and the last two didn't sell as well? BTW - they opened about two months ago.

The menu:

• Tofu soups, all Ů.95 come in eight varieties, you can order them in any one of five spiciness levels: White, Mild, Medium, Spicy, and Spicy Spicy.
  • Mushroom
  • Seafood Beef (Clam, Shrimp, Oyster, Beef)
  • Seafood (Clam, Shrimp, Oyster)
  • Kimchi Beef (Spiced Cabbage, Beef)
  • Oyster
  • Clam
  • Beef
  • PorkBarbeque, ű.45 each
  • Korean BBQ Ribs (Galbi Gui) (Beef Short Ribs)
  • Korean Boolgogi (Thin Sliced Beef Seasoned with Special Sauce)

That's it, that's the entire menu.

The restaurant is a really interesting mix. From the outside it looked like fast food, and the limited menu supports this idea. However, the room is decorated very nicely. Lots of nice touches, polished wood tables & chairs, a view of the grillman behind glass, real plates and stone bowls, and a decent bathroom.

The soups came out still bubbling in their small cauldrons. An optional ingredient is provided along with the pan chan (the little dishes of pickles & stuff - they were pickled Zuccini, not cucumbers!). It is a raw egg. If you want it, break it into the soup and either stir it for an egg drop soup effect or allow it to poach.

Other items of note:

• The server call button. There is a little raised bump on each table, which says "To call server, press here." When you do a little chime goes off and your waiter or waitress appears (later we noticed a table number light sign by the hostess station). We hardly needed it because they were so attentive, but it's a really nice concept that I think all restaurants should adopt. I feel even stronger about that after last night's dinner (a different place) when I had to ask about 4 times for a glass of water.
  • The water, or un-water. At most Asian places you get hot tea, this is no exception. It was a nice smokey green or ginsing tea. And in the water glass was the iced version of it.
  • After our waitress served us rice from a larger stone bowl, she poured more tea into that bowl. This is rice tea (or soup?), I guess a palate cleanser for to finish the meal.

Light House or Myung Ga ToFu & B.B.Q. Restaurant

261 Broad Avenue, Fairview, NJ 07022

201-941-0104 phone, 201-941-0706 fax

(Edited by RPerlow at 10:36 am on Jan. 29, 2002)

If you guys are ever in central NJ, you have got to try SEOUL HOUSE Korean restaurant just off Rt 27 in Franklin, just south of New Brunswick.  A small but clean and neat place that serves OUTSTANDING, authentic Korean food for many years.  Has won the NJ Monthly award from readers for best undiscovered restaurant several times in the past.  Bring an appetite, you will not go away hungry.  They have all the usual Korean items plus many unusual (to non Koreans, I guess) like intestines specially prepared etc.

I don't have a phone number handy but it will be the only one listed in information.

Have been there many times (I work about 20 minutes away) and the gang that goes there think its always great.

If you go let us know what you think.

Tom

Tom D

The Bergen/Hudson area is interesting in that it hardly is lacking in quality Korean food.  There are literally hundreds of them, and I know even just between the Perlows and myself there are 3 or 4 that we frequent very often.

The reason that Myung Ga surprised me so much was that the few items which they did, they did as well or better than anywhere I'd been.  And it surprised me to find something of quality in the area in which it was located.  Rte. 1 & 9, for lack of a better phrase, is something of a pit.

I'll partially disagree with something Rachel said.  Her excellent follow-up is correct in saying that the Tofu items far outnumber the BBQ items.  But her comment could give the impression that more attention was paid to the Tofu course than the BBQ one.  That's not true.  While the Tofu items were quite excellent, the BBQ items were clearly their pride and joy.

The Rice Tea Soup/Rice Water thing was pretty neat.  We also had a comedic little moment (my fault I'll admit) where they were looking for a way to serve the rice, and I had used a little metal rice bowl for the soup.  In another place I would have been made to feel like a stupid American, but they handled it very smoothly.  And then later on, when none of the three of us could figure out what to do with a bowl full of soupy rice water/tea (honest... we didn't know if we were supposed to eat it, drink it, or wash out the rice bowl with it), they were also very nice about explaining that.

Oh, and Tommy, I have no idea if it was BYOB.  I didn't see a bar... but we ordered non-alcoholic beverages.

(Edited by jhlurie at 11:50 am on Jan. 13, 2002)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Two Questions:

1) Is this BBQ the kind you cook at the table yourself?

2) Did you see Bi Bim Bap (spelling is often different than shown here) on the menu??

OK, a third question:

I'm fairly familiar with Rte1+9, could you please give me two landmarks that this place is located between (or 1 landmark with the location being North or South of it).

Thanks!!

1.) no... they cook it for you.  And the other thing of note is that they don't do the whole lettuce wrapping thing either.  

2.) no Bi Bim Bap.  Literally, Tofu soups and BBQed Beef and Ribs were all that they serve.  If you want these items come to this place.  If you want variety, then one of the hundreds of other great local Korean places will have to serve.

3.) Landmarks... It's within that small part of Rte 1&9 within Fairview.  Its on that stretch of road between that major intersection with the 7-11, and the area with the shopping center with the Marshalls and the K-Mart.  Assuming that the road is actually going North/South on that stretch, then the restaurant would be on the West side of the road.

(Edited by jhlurie at 1:19 pm on Jan. 13, 2002)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

3.) Landmarks... It's within that small part of Rte 1&9 within Fairview.  Its on that stretch of road between that major intersection with the 7-11, and the area with the shopping center with the Marshalls and the K-Mart.  Assuming that the road is actually going North/South on that stretch, then the restaurant would be on the West side of the road.

(Edited by jhlurie at 1:19 pm on Jan. 13, 2002)

if my map is correct, it's just south of that circle (which for some reason i think was the first circle in NJ), which is just south of rt. 46.  hope that helps!  if not, try yahoo maps.

Quote: from thereuare on 1:02 pm on Jan. 13, 2002

2) Did you see Bi Bim Bap (spelling is often different than shown here) on the menu??

Like Jon said, it is a very limited menu. Please look to my post above, I really did completely replicate the menu (except for the Korean letters).

So Tommy, did you go today?

(Edited by RPerlow at 7:49 pm on Jan. 13, 2002)

We went back yesterday for an early dinner. We wanted to confirm that its goodness was consistant - it is. :)  We arrived at 5:30, only the second table occupied, it was snowing pretty hard out side, but was warm and welcoming inside. By the time we left around an hour later, the restaurant was about 1/3 full despite the snow. Oh, and I was wrong, the pickles are cucumbers.

Someone asked me via email for other Korean recommendations besides Lighthouse. Here are two more tradional Korean steakhouses (more choices, more pan chan) than Lighthouse, in northern NJ, that we like to go to:

1) Hae Woon Dae is at 624 Piermont Rd, Closter, 201-767-6161

2) Sin Goong Jun, 329 Bergen Blvd, Palisades Park, 201-346-0201

OOOh BABY!!

Tried this place tonite, and it was VERY good!  We were cheerfully greeted 3 times (by different people) before we even sat down, and it's nice to feel so welcomed in a restaurant.  They truly seemed happy to have us as a guest in their restaurant.

We enjoyed the "tasting" dishes that are brought to the table, and when i told the waitress that i especially enjoyed one of them in particular, she brought out another serving!

We shared a Kimchi Beef Tofu soup and a Boolgogi.  I'm not a fan of tofu, but thought the soup would be heaven for anybody that really likes tofu.  I'm glad i tried it though, as it looks so good when it's served bubbling in its own hot cauldron.

The boolgogi beef, however, was completely fabulous!!  It was so flavorful and tasted so good mixed in with my rice.

I'm certain we will re-visit this place fairly soon.  Even my fiance  (who wishes not to be quoted in my posts) commented that the meal "hit all the right buttons."

If you got the phone number from above, i think it is incorrect.

The correct phone number is: 201-941-0104 (at least that is the phone number on their take out menu).

When i was there last nite, they had a "flashing sign" that said they were open until midnite, but i couldn't figure out the rest of the Korean!