• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations for Marburg?

Hi

To foster good Anglo-German relationships a few of my English friends and I occasionally meet up with an ex-pat friend living in Germany, and his like-minded German friends, and, well, basically get drunk for a long weekend.

This year's event is in Marburg, about which I can't discover a great deal except that it's a pretty university town.

I wondered if anyone had any experience/recommendations for the town? Not too stuffy, not too expensive (see comment about getting drunk).

Or does it suffer (like Oxford here in England) from a surfeit of students too devoted to raucous living to care about good food/drink? (Mind you - that doesn't sound too uninviting really... :cool: )

thanks

bainesy

Sheffield, where I changed,

And ate an awful pie

Marburg is, yes, a University City, mostly medical.

Not everyone gets drunk.

Try these places:

"Alter Ritter", Steinweg 44,

"Das Kleine Restaurant" Barfuesser Tor 25

Both 'reasonable'.

Sushi Bar , Krummbogen 12,

Hotel-Restaurant Dammühle

Dammühlenstraße 1 35041 Marburg-Wehrshausen

The last one "Dammuehle" I find best

Peter

Fantastic - thanks Peter. No one I have spoken to in England has even heard of Marburg (says a lot for our insularity).

I try my hardest to learn a little bit about a new place I am visiting, and your recommendations form part of that. If I get the chance to visit any of them I'll report back.

Thanks again

bainesy

Sheffield, where I changed,

And ate an awful pie

• 1 month later...

My mum grew up in Marburg!

I can also add that it's where Luther began the Reformation, and it was base camp for the Grimm Brothers when they were collecting their fairy tales. The church is also fantastic - I think one of the first Gothic churches in Germany.

Wouldn't be able to tell you much about food though - apart from visiting my grandma and eating the cherries from the tree in her garden.

I remember eating great Streuselkuchen but I don't think that's a specific Marburg thing at all.

If you need to walk off all that Schnitzel and Bier there are great walks through the woods round that part of the world. Usually with a restaurant at the end to reward your efforts.