• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Authentic Portuguese Restaurants in Newark

jsibley

I met a Portuguese man who has lived here for a while who recommended the following restaurants in Newark (I haven't tried them yet):

Seabra's Marisqueira (this is the only one I had heard of)

Sol Mar Vila Nova

Taste of Portugal

Fernandez Steakhouse

Pulaski BBQ (for grilled chicken and ribs)

Anyone familiar with any of these?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You should really try Brazilia, another all you can eat meat fest of rodizio.  The problem with this place is that it is on the 2nd floor down a few blocks from Iberia and hard to locate.  I've also been to Iberia which I thought was pretty good.  I hope this helps.  :smile:

pavlova - is Brazilia the place on the second floor of Seabra's bakery, down Ferry street near Jackson?

I think the owners formerly ran Brazilian Portuguese pavilion in Harrison...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

You should really try Brazilia, another all you can eat meat fest of rodizio.

Just curious, but how much to they charge for the rodizio and how do you find the quality and variety of the meats? At $14.95, I find the Seabra's at Mediteranean Manor hard to beat.

Brazilia has often been recommended to me by Brazilians, and I think it's pretty good (and I preferred it to Mediterranean Manor).

They have a second restaurant, Brazilia Grill around the corner at 99 Monroe Street that has it's own parking, which is an added feature.

I don't remember how much either one charges, though. Also, the atmosphere isn't anything special at either restaurant (although I believe there is music at Brazilia Grill some nights).